Chapter 1

CHAPTER 1

            BRRINGGG! BRRINGGG!

            The loud ring of the phone woke me up out of a deep sleep.  I really needed that nights rest. I had been so stressed lately; I haven’t been able to sleep well. I guess I had better answer.

            “Hello?” I asked, trying not to sound like I had just woken up.

            “Hey, Sherri, it’s Scott Genkinger! You got a minute?” I paused before I answered him, and realized what phone call this was. The phone call that I had been waiting for, for about a week. It’s Scott Genkinger, the casting director for a new television show I had auditioned for. Something about this role seemed like the perfect fit for me. I knew it was something I wanted to go for the minute I got my hands on the script.

            “Yes, yes! I hope you’re calling with some good news!” I said, trying to hide the groggy sound in my voice.

            “I do! We’ve made a decision about the role, and if you were still up for it, we’d love to have you play the role of Lena Adams on the show! What do you think?”

Yes! I got the role!

            “I would love to do it! Yes definitely! Thank you so much, Scott, I can’t wait to get to work on this. I have a great feeling about it!” I tried not to sound too excited, but just excited enough that he could tell how enthusiastic I was about it.

            “Okay, great! Well you will get a call from someone soon, probably later in the week, about when we want to bring you all in and get this thing started, okay?”

            “Yes, that sounds great!”

            “Alright well then I will talk to you soon!”

            “Yeah okay, and thank you again I am so excited!” I hung up the phone and tried not to scream. I grabbed my pillow and let it all out so I wouldn’t wake my husband, Kamar. I had been thinking about this role ever since I laid eyes on the script. Something about playing a lesbian on a TV show intrigued me. It didn’t scare me. It felt… right.

I decided to make a huge breakfast for Kamar and I, so I got up out of bed after the phone call and started cooking. I wanted it to be ready before he woke up.

I just cannot get over how happy getting this role makes me. I had gotten many parts before; been in movies and on TV, but I have never been this happy about getting a part before. I can’t put my finger on why.

            Kamar comes out of the bedroom and comes down the stairs and into the kitchen. He’s wearing his striped pajama pants I got him for Christmas and the grungy white shirt I told him to get rid of months ago.

            “Good morning, beautiful,” he said with a smile on his face, “Is that breakfast I smell?”

            “Good morning and yes it is! I wanted to cook a huge breakfast for us!” He looked surprised, probably because my idea of a big breakfast is usually coffee and a toaster strudel.

            “Are we celebrating something?”

            “Yes, in fact we are! I got a call this morning from Scott Genkinger! I got the part!!” I couldn’t contain my excitement! I practically squealed the news to him!