Chapter 2:Prince Richard's castle

"Grace? Grace? Goodness girl wake up!" Queen Maude shook Grace harshly her tone saying she was less then pleased that she had fallen asleep.

Smoothing down her dress that was already crumbled beyond belief she stepped out into harsh sunlight.

"Ah and this is my daughter! Gracelynn say hello to Richard now won't you?"

Taking her place next to her father she nodded slightly.

"Hello Richard. Pleased to meet you." Keeping a smile in place and a honey sweet voice her mind searched to find a way around marrying him.

"Charmed as well." She kept herself from making a face when he kissed her hand.

"Father I think I am going to take a....walk." She quickly gathered her skirts and went towards the stone road that lead to the castle garden.

"I'm sorry about my daughter. She's quite tired after the travel. She will come around after her walk."  King George's eyes said how he truly felt about his daughter running off.

Meanwhile Grace paced a garden hedge trying to figure out how to escape her father's plans.

"Oh I hate this! Why can't Richard just be....just be...not Richard!" She let out a large sigh and looked up at the crystal clear sky.

"Mother I don't know who you are or why your dead but surely this isn't what you wanted for your daughter." Sitting down she fingered at the necklace around her neck.The only evidence she had found of her mother ever once being alive.

"Hello."

"Ah!" Grace jumped up spinning around to see who and where that small voice came from.

Behind her a child of about 11 looked at her with huge brown eyes. Her dress was fit for a princess and curls are brown and big as her eyes flowed down her back.

"I'm Maria.What's your name?"

"You aren't Princess Maria Fonches of Havel are you? I'm Grace." She shook hands with the child and looked at her wondering why in the world an 11 year old princess from three kingdoms over was there."

"Yes I am! Are you here for the competition?" Her head tilted to the side and her hands fiddled with the folds of her dress.

"Competition? I didn't know there was to be a competition."

"Of course silly! Every eligible princess is here from miles and miles away! It's not really a competition so much as a choosing. It starts tomorrow. Prince Richard will pick three girls a day to leave until one is left! I do so hope he picks me!"

"Oh that man makes me sick! We are not prizes to be picked! Wait until I have a word with him! Inviting children as well! Oh!" Her eyes flashed like fire and it seemed like rage could fly like flames right from the tips of her red hair.

Marching out of the garden much to the surprise of young Maria she searched for the prince. Finally she found him laughing with her father with that fake laugh that she hated so much.

"Richard! Is it true that you invited children to be part of a 'choosing' on whom will be your wife? That is horrible! You are an even worse person then I had imagined!"

She had forgotten that her father and Richard's parents along with half of their court members were standing right there and she had just broken every royal rule there had ever been for a princess.

"Grace!" Her father's booming voice tore her rage stricken eyes from Richard. His face swelled up like a bullfrog and turned the color of bright red cherry's.

"Yes Your Royal Highness don't be jelous. Every girl will get to participate." Richard flashed a fake bright white smile at her.

"You will address Prince Richard by his proper title young lady." Her father struggled to say through his rage.

"If you think I am staying though this little 'party' then your wrong! I'm leaving!' Hiking her skirt up she marched to the carriage her face as red as her hair.

"Gracelynn you come back here. You are staying and that is that." It was her mother who spoke this time her voice as cool as a fall day. 

She knew if her father and stepmother both commanded her to stay there was no way she was getting back to the castle without walking.

Turning back she walked to her father standing by his side and tried to push down all her anger.

"Yes Mother. May I be excused to freshen up?" The only way to win with the queen was with a honey sweet attitude.

"Yes that's much better. I am sure there is a maid who will take you to your room."

"Ah yes! Jenna! Come take Her Highness to her room please and don't dawdle." Richards mother waved her hand and revealed a maid behind her.

A girl no older then Grace herself dressed in a a soft white dress that was reserved for the maids who worked for the queen personally,walked over and motioned for Grace to follow.

Her hair curled in loose blonde curls and a pale face set with bright blue eyes secretly smiled behind her solom face.

"This way Your Highness the queen has you in the east wing." Nodding slowly Grace followed her around the foregin castle grounds and up to the castle.

Made of smooth gray stone the castle was truly huge. It was probably larger the all the houses in the village together.

Green and yellow flags flew from the towers showing the royal crown on it. Royal servants and maids bustled from one area to another.

When she got inside she was glad she had a maid to take her to her room seeing as you could get lost just going from one end of the main entrance to the other end!

Finally Grace reached the east wing following Jenna to a room about 8 doors down.

"Here it is Your Highness. Have a pleasant say." After a brief curtsy Jenna turned to leave.

"Wait Jenna? Please call me Grace for now on. Her Highness is so formal,and I'm not your princess so why can't you call me by my name?"

Jenna smiled brightly and nodded turning back in a half run."

Chuckling Grace sighed and turned towards the door.

"Well might as well go inside." Turning the cold bronze handle she entered her prison cell for the next 5 days.