The Day They Found Loved

Love: A temporary insanity curable by marriage
________________________

LUKE

Today would be day the day Emily would be coming home. I could scarcely wait. I felt like a hormonal teenager all over again. Anxious for his first time.

Our anniversary had passed but I planned a ball in honor of Emily. Had a year really pass since we got married.

I was a bit disappointed that she had not responded to my letter. I wondered why. Maybe I came on a bit too strong. Perhaps she hated what I wrote. Perhaps she was upset I did not see her off. Maybe she doesn't miss me like I miss her.

But she told me she would. I let out a frustrating exhale.

Her family would be coming with her. I would meet her mother once again and hopefully on better terms than the last.

I missed my son and daughter. When they were not here I couldn't sleep.

I started to walk about the room until Mrs Witty snapped me out of it.

"Luke are you okay dear" she had a worried expression.

"Everything's fine. I just miss the children" and Emily but I'd rather not say it out loud.

"Just the kids?" She smirked and stroll away leaving me with a smile.
~~

The doors opened revealing a breathtaking Emily. She looked exceptionally beautiful. She had on a ice blue dress with the collar all the way up. Her body was outlined. Ever curve.

There was something more about her.

They all shouted welcome home. My parents, my friends, the household workers and the whole town.

She was frightened and shocked all at once. Music began to play and most persons took the dance floor.

Our eyes locked and she smiled. I stalked over to her. Adeline (Mrs Weathers) beat me to it and grab Emily in a bone crushing hug.

I saw that her mother had Ozy and a man who stood beside her who I could only assume was Charles. There was a boy and a girl. The girl look exactly like Emily. Her sister I suppose. She had Lizzy who was tugging her hair she didn't seem to mine. The boy looked scared and out of place.

I walked over and Emily introduced me to her family. Her mother winked at me, Charles shook my hand, her sister hugged me. Emily looked over and offered an apologetic smile. Her brother glances at me once briefly and gave a shy smile.

Mrs Witty came over and took the children. Greta grabbed John's hand and tailed after Mrs Witty.

"This is a ball you know?" My father exclaimed with a drink in his hand.

"Let's dance" my mother said. Giggling away. I'm starting to think that they're both a bit intoxicated.

I held my hand out for Emily and led her to the floor. She looked in my eyes. The rest of the world quickly faded away. She rested her palm on my jaw I turned my face and placed a kiss there. She blushed.

"I missed that" I told her

"Miss what" she asked confused