Introduction

The sun was setting above the water, causing a few stray sunbeams to cut through the sea. The tide was going in, making the water slightly cooler as the sun-heated water was going up on the beach. This was his favorite time to swim, twirling and spinning as fast as he could through holes in rock as fish zipped by him. As he swam by, he startled a group of clownfish and laughed as they swam in a circle around his head. He apologized for disturbing their anemone and sped off again, aiming for a stony hole in front of him. He started moving his tail quicker to gain speed and as he neared the opening, he held out his arms at his sides and quickly pulled them in, spinning unbelievably fast as his body rocketed through the space. What he wasn't anticipating was that as his tail passed through, he felt a sharp pain pierce through his back fin and was tugged hard back towards the rock. He could feel something start to wrap around his tail and rolled onto his back, seeing what looked like fishing line tying around him. A fisherman must have lost a rod and the spool of line had fallen against the stone. The hook had pierced his fin when he swam through and the line he pulled quickly coiled around his lower half. He couldn't reach the thin cord to pull it free and the more he struggled, the tighter it wrapped around him and cut into his tail. He groaned loudly in distress, trying his hardest to swim forward and pull himself free. The line was cutting under his scales in a few places and constricting his tail in others, causing him to cry out in pain as he fought to break free. With another strong movement, he managed to snap the line, being flung forward through the water by the momentum. He was starting to float to the surface and he tried to kick his tail and moved deeper, but it caused him too much pain and he cried out again before giving up and letting himself float up. Once he came to the surface, the tide carried him to shore and he groaned again in panic. He landed near a bunch of rocks and drug himself closer to them, hoping to be hidden until he could get the line off his tail. The water would wash up past him occasionally but no matter how much he tried, he couldn't get himself free. He was beached.