ii . misadventure

CW: graphic description of an injury.

The next few days of the new school year went by without many complaints―some teachers were new and some were known from the previous year. Not all of them were pleasant, but as a simple student you will just have to accept that fact and work with what you get.

(first name) and Emiri enjoyed their time together in class as they were seated not too far away from each other. This year's seat drawing went better than last year's―Emiri was seated in the very first row which made her super anxious, Rina and the class clown sat right next to each other and were constantly getting scolded, and (first name) unfortunately right behind them, unable to focus on lessons most of the time.

So far, classes had been quite light-hearted―even teachers joining in gossip about the past year, however, slowly but surely teachers returned to being the authoritative figures they were supposed to be and homework over homework rained over the poor, poor students.

Rina would probably say that's the concept of school, (first name) thought as she watched her teacher slowly filling the blackboard with equations equal to alphabet soup.

When she looked around in class, she spotted a few students doing other things than paying attention to class. Well, it was not like (first name) was paying attention either, but probably more than her classmates were―a few texting on their phones, others drawing and some casually talking to each other. Fortunately for them, the teacher of this period was very old, so he probably did not even notice the loud students in the last row.

She glanced over to her friend and saw her ambitiously taking notes. Even though it was nothing special, it made (first name) smile to herself. Yup, as expected of Emiri, she let her thoughts wander. Man, I wish I was like that, too. She put her head on the palm of her hand. But for that I'd have to change. She sighed. Way too lazy for that.

(first name) was not a bad student, actually, she was quite the complete opposite. Last year, she was one of the best students in her year. She studied for tests and did her homework properly most of the time. However, paying attention in class was not her favourite activity to do as she always found something more interesting to explore mentally.

So she just sat there, listening to the speech of her teacher from time to time with her head still  supported by her hand until there was a dull noise next to her. The student sitting to her right had dropped their pen. (first name), being the polite person she was, picked it up and gave it back. Just when she had bent down, she noticed a very small notebook in her bag. She did not recognize it, so she wondered how it got there and more importantly, whose it was.

Quietly, she pulled it out of her bag, slowly opened it and began browsing it. With every page turning, she felt increasingly uncomfortable.

"At night, I wished you would be right next to me."

                                          "I love the way you smell."

               "Your hair looks so soft."

"I want to see your smile again."

                           "I miss you so much, (first name)."

Gradually, she felt a cold shiver running down her spine. There were so many questions running through her head, but she could not find an answer to one of them.