Faith in Me: Chapter 1

Start from the beginning

"Why do you call me Tweety?" she asked suddenly, hoping to change the subject. It kind of worked. Silas gave her a reassuring squeeze around her shoulder before he answered.

"Because Tweety has big blue eyes, just like you. Also because Tweety's cute and no matter how many times Sylvester tries to make a meal out of Tweety, the bird's always fuckin' cheerful. Like you should be, 'cause you know, you deserve to be happy. And I hope you don't let anyone in the way of your happiness. Don't let a stupid Sylvester get you down. Ever."

*****

Booking into a shabby motel was the highlight of her night, finally being able to get some rest. Perching on the edge of the bed, she turned on the small television for background noise.

Earlier, she had to call in at the firm she worked at to call in her vacation time. Having saved up her days, it would be a long time before Janie saw any real vacation. Her boss, Kelly, had been somewhat understanding.

"Listen, Janine. I don't want to hear about it. I know you're not vacationing in the middle of August, so finish your shit and then get your ass back to work." Kelly was straight forward, brutal, and the shark within her was what got her to the top of her profession. Sometimes Janie wished to be more like her, but Kelly was so cold with her calculating brown eyes and aggressive demeanor that it stopped her short of her thoughts. Then, Kelly had hung up and that was the end of that.

Her work was being a commercial photographer, although the stuff she photographed was far from what she wanted. Nothing thrilled her more than photographing nothing. Nothing could be described as anything. So therefore, Janie wanted to be a nothing photographer.

Placing her bags on the side of the nightstand, Janie tried not to worry as she crawled into her bed. She failed, tossing and turning until she finally passed out from exhaustion.

*****

The next morning, she got up half past eight. After switching off the T.V. she left running over night and a quick call to a cab company, she stripped and headed into the bathroom. Jumping in the lukewarm shower, she used the cheap shampoo to wash her hair. It took a whole lot of effort to work the watery conditioner through her long blonde waves. After drying off with the equally cheap towels provided, she dressed into a simple ensemble of jeans and a gray v-neck shirt.

Quickly stepping into the ankle boots she arrived in, she was out the door and into the taxi she had called in less than five minutes. "Take me to Coralstone, please." The cabby grunted in reply and drove off through the streets of L.A.

Last night, Melody did some research and was able to find out where Silas lived. It also didn't escape her mind to use the connection she had with the drummer, Jeremy. From her early memories of Empire of Faith, there wasn't a drummer named Jeremy. But band members changed from time to time. Apparently, Mel had met him backstage at a concert and they hit it off quite well. But that was on and off and Mel had refused to tell her any more about it. Although it did concern her, she tried not to dwell on it and decided that Mel could handle herself. She was independent and didn't take any shit from men, whether or not served on a golden platter.

Jeremy had told Melody that the Empire of Faith gate pass was simply, "ratchet." That magic word got her in. Ha-ha.

The cab finally lurched to a stop in front of the gate. He silently told her with his eyes that this was this the stop. Paying her dues, Janie got out of the cab and thanked him. He grunted again. Guess he wasn't a talkative person.

After a minute of gawking at the huge steel gates in front of her, she made her way to an office attachment on the left side of the gates. Once she was closer, she was faced with a single side of the building that had a thick, bulletproof glass window. Approaching it, the lady behind squawked at her from a speaker.