Phone Call

When the cameras were directed away from him and Allan K., Richard immediately fished out his phone from his pocket and dialled Maine's number. He went inside the hosts' room and started pacing. The phone kept ringing making Richard more agitated. He tried two more times until finally he decided to call Direk Pat. She answered after the third ring.

"Ate Pat?" He asked without even waiting for the other person to say 'Hello'. "How is she? What did the doctor say? Does she need to be confined? Where are you? I'm coming over."

"Alden," Pat replied. "Calm down. She's fine. She just suffered pain on her left side."

"She's in pain?" Richard cringed at the thought of his beloved suffering again. "Ate, which hospital did they bring her? I'm on my way."

"Are you insane?" Pat remarked, her voice rose an octave higher. "We're still in Biñan and you have a flight to catch."

"Ate Pat," Richard heard a familiar voice in the background. It was weak but clear. His heart went out to her. "Is that RJ? Tell him to call me up. My check up is done."

"You heard her, Tisoy."

"Hanging up."

After dropping the call, he immediately dialled her number. She answered immediately.

"Hi Half!" Maine greeted cheerfully. Her voice was weak and a bit raspy.

"How are you feeling?" Ricard asked immediately. Around him, the other hosts and staff were saying their good byes. He gave them a wave and a nod in the head to acknowledge them but all his attention was focused on the person on the other end of the line. Everyone saw the panicked look on his face that they just patted his shoulder when they passed by, giving him encouragement and reassurance. Mama Ten was busy fixing his things to prepare to leave for the airport.

"I'm feeling much better," she answered. "It's just the usual pain I'm feeling when my time of the month approaches."

"Isn't that a little earlier than usual?" He inquired.

"Nope," she answered. "I'm on schedule."

"Are you sure it's nothing serious? I can always rebook a flight at a later time."

"Half, please don't," Maine replied. "I promise. I'm fine. So don't worry, okay?"

"I can't help but worry, Half," Richard answered as Mama Ten handed him his backpack. He started walking out of the hosts' room waving and giving a half smile to the people who were still there.

"I don't want to leave knowing that you don't feel good," he continued as he went inside his car. "Which hospital did they bring you? I'll stop by."

"Half," Maine answered. "I'm still in Biñan. By the time you get here, your flight left you already."

"I don't care!"

"Yes you do!" She exclaimed. "You owe it to your fans to be there. They've been waiting for this concert for months. And you're not the type of artist who doesn't care about his fans. You care too much. You wouldn't let them down."

"But I'm letting you down by not being there with you right now."

"You're here right now," Maine replied softly. "Hearing your voice at this very moment is just what I need. Remember the first time you called me up when I had cramps? You stayed on the line until I fell asleep and you sang to me."

Richard smiled despite his worry. He remembered that night very well. Maine was having her monthly period and as always, her cramps was really bad. She could barely stand up. She  sent a message to him saying that she wouldn't be at work the next day. He called immediately through Facetime. It was his idea to sing to her, not because he believed he has a great voice but it would serve as a distraction from the pain. He remembered singing 5 songs to her: You and Me by Lifehouse, Thinking Out Loud by Ed Sheeran, Ngiti by Ronnie Liang, Stay With Me by Sam Smith and Wish I May.  He remembered singing those songs over and over until she fell asleep. But he didn't end the call. He just watched her sleep, every so often he would hear her whimper and he would be reassuring her in soft whispers that he was right there, never leaving her. He also heard her call his name sometimes, asking him to stay. He remembered falling asleep with Facetime still running. The call only ended when both their phones' batteries were drained.

Richard closed his eyes and sighed heavily. He raked his hair with his right hand in frustration. From the corner of his eyes, he knew that Mama Ten was watching him, gauging his emotions.

"I can't leave you, Maine," he finally said. "Not when you're not feeling well."

"You're angry," Maine stated. She could hear in his voice the frustration that he was feeling.

"Of course I am!" He exclaimed. "Who wouldn't be angry at my situation right now? My girlfriend is sick and I'm on my way to another country. I want to be with you right now, not stuck in traffic on the way to the airport. It's just not fair!"

"Half -"

"Can't I be for just once be an irresponsible bastard?" He continued his rant. "Just one moment in my life to be so selfish that I wouldn't think about anyone else except for what I want. And what I want right now is to be with you. Sitting beside your bedside, making sure you would have all that you need at arms reach or I will be the one handing them over to you. What I want is to hold you in my arms and assure you that I'm right there with you. What I want is to kiss every single pain away. What I want right now is to be Richard. Not Alden! I want to be with my Maine, my other half, my perfect piece."

"Don't be mad, Half," Maine replied softly as she tried to calm her beloved. "I'm really fine now. It's nothing serious. Just the usual symptoms of my monthly period. I don't really know why I'm not used to it but I should. I've been having this for years."

"You're babbling just to get me distracted."

"Is it working?"

"A bit," said Richard as he gave another audible sigh. His anger dissipating. "Those bashers are going to have a field day with this."

"Bring it on!" She answered. "I can think of a lot of scenarios right now that they could use for bashing."

"Hmm..." Richard thought. "You could be pregnant."

"You would like that wouldn't you?"

"Of course I would," he answered with a smile on his face that she felt on the other line. "It would give me the best excuse to marry you earlier than planned."

Richard heard her laugh on the other end but also heard her intake of breath as pain shot through her lower abdomen.

"I'm sorry," he immediately said and cringed at his actions. "I shouldn't have made you laugh."

"It's okay," she assured him. "I'm okay. Just got a little excited. That's all."

There was a pause as Maine tried to ease the pain that she felt. Richard waited for her to compose herself. He didn't realize he was holding his breath until he felt light headed. He released the air and took another deep breath.

"I still wish I could be there with you," he whispered, loud enough that only she could hear.

"You'll be back soon enough," she assured him. "Besides, there's Facetime. You can call me up when you're free."

"Don't tire yourself too much while I'm away, Half," said Richard.

"That goes the same for you, Half," answered Maine. "iMessage me when you arrive in Dubai. I don't care what time that will be, I just want to know that you've landed safely."

"I promise," he replied. "And please don't hide the pain if it comes back. Tell me immediately. And if you really need me to come back I'll find a way. For now, get some rest and if you still feel bad, don't come to work tomorrow. Kuya Wally, Kuya Jose and Kuya Pao will understand."

"I promise," she said. "I won't push myself if I really can't."

"I'll text you when we're boarding."

"Have a safe flight and come back to me soon. And Half?"

"Yes, Half?"

"Can you sing for me again?"

"I thought you'd never ask."