“We’ll do it together, Sally. We’ll learn together. I love you, Sally Daniels. Mamie went to find a minister. Would you marry…?”

“Yes! I will.” She cut him off.

“Today?” Sally nodded, but said nothing more as he lowered his face to hers and gently kissed her for what seemed like an hour.

“Uh-hm.” An unknown voice interrupted.

Buddy looked up to see Mamie and the minister standing in the dining room doorway. “Wanna make those vows right now?” Sally nodded, eyeing the newly arrived parson.

“Everyone’s here that I want to be for our vows, except maybe Lottie. But, I think she'll understand. Now is the perfect time.”

“Let’s go tell the others.”

“We already know and agree that you two should be married.” Ryne spoke for the others.

“Let me offer my garden as a place for your nuptials. It’s perfect, and I still have some flowers left. Give us a few minutes to get her changed and we’ll meet you outside.” Edna smiled, taking Sally’s hand and all but pulling her up the stairs. Sally looked frightful with blood spattered over her face and clothing from the death of her not-so-favorite uncle.

“Edna, my bags are outside.”

“You won’t need those clothes. I have a dress for you. It was my mother’s and since I don’t have a daughter to pass it to, I want you to have it.”

“I can’t wear white. I’m not pure.”

“It’s ivory, and you can wear anything your heart desires. You love him. That’s pure.” Edna wiped tears as Sally donned the lace and silk dress.

“Edna, it’s just beautiful! I really don’t deserve this. Thank you so much. What changed your mind?” Sally’s face twisted in question.

“I realized what kind of a man Bill was, and when that man confessed to killing your Paw just to get you into the business, I knew I couldn’t stand by and let Bill do this to anyone ever again. This is the least I can do for you. Let me worry about my husband, the scoundrel, and you go down there and marry the man of your dreams. Are you ready?”

“I’ve been ready since I saw him in the street earlier. No, since I realized I loved him.” She smiled, wiped a tear of thanks from her face, and followed Edna down the stairs again. Will stood at the bottom, holding a hand out.

“May I have the honor of giving you away? Your Paw may not be here, but I’ve come to think of you as one of my own, and if he were here, Tom would say the same.”

“He sure would.” Mamie piped in. “And he’d fight his brother for the honor. Come on, dear child; let’s get you to your bridegroom. He’s certainly nervous, but ready for you.”

As they walked through the kitchen, Sally spied Buddy talking to the minister, and noticed he straightened when Mamie walked out.

She walked slower than she wanted to towards her deputy. He didn’t have time to shave or clean up like she did, but this was him to the core: A little dusty and sweaty, but always happy, with a supernatural light shining from his eyes.

*****

After the vows were repeated, and they sealed them with a kiss, Edna invited everyone in for dinner and had Juliette make a cake for the couple. They spent the evening with friends, enjoying everyone’s company. Sally looked at Buddy, sighed happily, grabbed his hand and whispered in his ear: “I need to get some rest. I’m exhausted.” He nodded quietly and stood, helping her to her feet.