No one had paid any mind to the young Mr. Hugh Davenport or his rapid departure when the gunshot sounded. No one noticed absence until now.

“Where’s Davenport?” Will was first to ask.

Edna looked around. “This is one insane fiasco.” She rubbed her temples. Walking to her porch, she hollered at the ne’er-do-wells guarding her home. “Go after that man who left. He’s dressed to the nines and probably has a gun. You don’t have to bring him back. Take him straight to the jail, if he lives.” They took off in his direction, having paid little attention to the commotion, but still seeing him leave hurriedly towards the train station.  

“Well, that seems to be a fitting ending to this adventure. I think I’ll call it a day, ladies and gentlemen.” Mamie announced, unapologetic for leaving now. “I trust Sally’s in good hands. I’m glad you’re well, dear. I hope you can rest now.”

“Mrs. Patterson?” Buddy called before she left, unescorted, for their hotel.

“Yes, Buddy?” He walked outside with her.

 “A moment please?”

“Sure?” She asked, guarded.

“I was wondering if you’d go back to that church and talk to the minister for me. If she agrees, I’m marrying Sally Daniels today.”

“I’d be honored to, Buddy.” She hugged him, smiled and walked towards town. Buddy went inside to see if there was anything to be done. Ryne and Will had taken the body out back to wait on the sheriff so that the women wouldn’t be exposed to such a gruesome sight. After he arrived, Edna offered Sunday supper to all those in her home. Mr. Fritz went with the sheriff to make a report. Once again, the butler came in to announce yet another guest.

“You are quite the popular lady these days, Miss Edna. Another visitor is here.” He declared. “One Mr. Hugh Davenport, escorted by none other than your watchmen.”

“I said he didn’t have to be brought here. I’m surprised he made it back alive.”

The two men came in with him between them, holding his arms. One had a gun trained on his ribcage. “Why’d y’all bring him back?” Edna asked, letting the southern belle out just a little.

“He begged us to. He said, not that I really believe him, that he wanted to apologize to Miss Daniels.”

“I-I do want to … after watching that scoundrel do that, I had a change of heart, but got scared and ran off. I figured I’d go further west and start over. I promise, I won’t contact Bill ever again. As far as I’m concerned, I never met you.”

“You should count your blessings. They had permission to kill you. As for me, Hugh Davenport, I forgive you. I never want to see you again, though. I just want my life with my fiancée.” Buddy audibly gasped. Turning towards him, Sally smiled a broad, genuine grin. “You heard right, Buddy. I want to be your wife. I’m scared to death, but I have faith in you.” She approached him, meaning the words for only his ears. Ryne and Corinne, as well as the others, went to the other room to allow them a moment alone. “I love you. I figured it out when I was in Colorado Springs. I even wrote you a letter. I guess you didn’t get it.” He shook his head to the negative, but let her continue. “I don’t know what this life will bring. The last week or two has been horrendous. But, I know this: I never want to go another day without you near me. I am still so apprehensive about being a wife,” she looked down at her belly, “and a mother. There’s so much I am not ready for.” Her tears flowed unchecked down her face. Buddy stopped them with a gentle swipe of his thumb. Instead of removing his hands, he placed one on either side of her face.