Of nightmares and mysteries

I didn't sleep well that night.
Every time I managed to fall asleep, I kept having nightmares.
I dreamt I was on a ship with Damianos, and I was leaving my land.
The sky was grey, and in no time the ship entered the storm.
The waves were high, the rain ice cold and the wind sharp.
Suddently I found myself tied to the mast. 
Even if the circumstances were totally different, I remembered the tale of Odysseus, tied to his ship to resist the sirens' call.
Just then, I saw Ianthe, sitting on a rock in the open sea. She had an unusually serious expression, as she stared at the ship.
I saw that she was holding something in her hands, but I was too far away, and the heavy rain made it difficult to understand what exactly she held.
The ship gave a long, terrifying creak and slowly, it started sinking in the cold, dark water.
I struggled to break free from the rope, but no matter what I did, I couldn't move.
As I sunk with the ship into the rough sea, I saw Ianthe swimming towards me.
My eyes widened underwater, as I finally saw the object she was holding in her hands.

I sat up abruptly in my bed, gasping for air.
I tried to calm my breathing as I thought over and over: 'It's just a dream. Just a dream."
I looked out of the window, and saw that it was still dark.
I lay down again, and pulled the chlaina* up to my chin.
I sighed, trying to get the horrible memory of my nightmare out of my mind.
It was no use. Whenever I closed my eyes, I kept seeing the wooden ship sinking into the cold sea, and Ianthe, coming towards me holding a human skull in her webbed hands.

I kept thinking of my dream the whole morning. What could it possibly mean?
And most importantly, why was Ianthe holding a skull? It couldn't be because I was afraid of her, because I was not.
But I was indeed afraid of Damianos. I did not like the idea of leaving with that man at all.
I decided that it was his fault I had that nightmare. Ianthe just happened to be part of it because I has just finished talking to her. I stopped under a tree, and looked up at the heavy branches full of green leaves. 
I was wandering in the garden, since my father had decided that weaving lessons were not necessary anymore. I was fairly good at weaving, and I quite liked it, but I did not mind not having lessom, as this way I had more time to think. They had admonished me to stay inside, but I happily found out climbing from my window wasn't that hard.
An olive tree grew just under it, and I was light enough to walk onto the branches.
I was considering climbing the tree I had stopped under, just in case anyone found out I wasn't inside the house anymore, when I heard Doris' voice.
"Hebe! He-Hebe!" She was getting closer, and I hoped she was alone: I was not in the mood for some lecturing.
"Doris! Is it just you?"
"Gods, where are you, Hebe?"
"Are you alone?"
"Yes, yes, dear Gods- I'm alone"
I saw her running towards me, and motioned for her to slow down.
"Hebe... your father- he asked Damianos to talk to him in private and- Dimitris- said..." She kept pausing to catch her breath. "Wait, Doris, sit down. Breathe. What are you saying?"
She held up a hand and leaned onto a nearby tree. Slowly she regained her composure. "Dimitris was serving wine in the room where your father and Damianos were talking. He told me he heard Damianos ask your father to
anticipate the wedding! He said something about being afraid you'll run away."
I stared at Doris, horrified.
"And what did my father say?"
"At first he did not agree. He said he didn't see why he should anticipate it. That you were not one to run away from responsability." But that couldn't be it, right? "Damianos made him change his mind?" Doris nodded gravely. "Now, Dimitris isn't sure... because he was about to leave, but he said Damianos looked furius... he told your father that he would have his reign, in one way or another. Dimitris doesn't know what happened afterwards, because Damianos ordered him to leave the room. The only thing we know is that your father changed his mind. He agreed to anticipate the wedding."
I felt light headed, as if I was going to faint. There was no way I was going to marry Damianos. It couldn't be real.
"When... when is it going to be then?" I asked weakly.
"I don't know, Hebe. Oh Hebe, I don't want you to go away! Do you think they'll let me come with you?"
I stayed silent and started walking in a circle, desperately thinking of a way to get myself out of this situation.
"Running away truly is the only thing that could work. And Damianos obviously knows this... If he wants power over our lands he will do anything not to let me get away!"
Doris had never looked so sad. "But... he cannot rule as long as your father is king... even if he marries you, he would have to wait... wouldn't he?"
As long as my father is king...
"Hebe? What's wrong?"
"What if he doesn't want to wait? I cannot be sure but... please don't think I'm saying this just because I hate him. It is a possibilty..."
My friend's eyes widened. "He would not! Are you really thinking he could... murder your father?"
"It is not very likely, but there is the possibility... But we do not know anything about him. We cannot say anything to anyone."
Doris took my hand in hers. "We'll find a way, Hebe. Don't worry."
She did not believe it, and I could tell.
"It's better if we go back, before someone else notices you've disappeared."
I nodded, fighting back tears.

NOTES

Hello! Thank you so much for reading, I hope you're enjoying the story! Don't forget to comment to let me know what you think, and vote! (Constructive criticism is highly appreciated 💙)
I will post the next chapter as soon as possible!
love ya,
~Emma

[*The chlaina was a form of outer clothing primarily worn by women. They were both types of cloaks, which were wrapped around the body for warmth and protection.]