Chapter 1

I don't need this right now... I can't do this right now, actually. This is so frustrating! I pull my hair up in a bun and lie on my bed in thought. Tonight is my concert at my High School and I'm doing a major solo in one of the songs, but I received a phone call from my mom saying she can't give me a ride anymore. She's apparently 'working late'... Yeah right.

As I try calling all of my friends to see if they can give me a ride I hear the door bell. I run downstairs to see who would be ringing it at 6:30 p.m. It couldn't have been a delivery guy, because we haven't ordered any packages in who knows how long. I open the door to see my best friend, Eadelyn.

"What are you doing her-" she cuts me off.
"No questions. Hurry. Get in the car!" She warns.
"I can't, Ead," the nickname she only lets very few people call her " I have a choir concert tonight that I need a ride to... I have to be there at 7. You know how much this means to me and its mandatory."
She signs, then lights up "I'll give you ride. Then afterwards can you hang around for a bit?"
"Really, you'll give me a ride?!"
"Yes, but only if you let me take you somewhere afterwards. Deal?" She says.
"I don't know. It depends on-" she cuts me off, again.
"Okay, deal. Hop in!"

We arrive at the High School and she rushes me in.
"Rushing in isn't going to change the time my concert ends, Ead." I tell her.
"I know, I know. Sorry. It's just that tonight we need all the time we can get. Don't ask questions; you'll rock that solo!"
I give her a smile then walk quickly, trying not to run to the concert doors. I get on stage and the concert begins.

As I began singing my solo I couldn't stop thinking about where Ead would be taking me. She usually isn't so frantic. As I'm lost in thought I hear the music and realize that I forgot to sing the first two words of my solo. I pick up on the third word and save myself.

The concert is over and as I walk down from the stage, Ead hugs me and tells me how amazing I did on my solo. I don't think I did that great, assuming the low self confidence I have, so I simply tell her 'thank you'.

"Okay so what's-" for the third time tonight, she cuts me off.
"You ready? Let's go, let's go!" She said.
Now, Eadelyn is many things, but I've never seen her so stressed out. I began to worry that something was wrong, but I just keep following her to the car. We buckled up and she started driving off to wherever she was taking me.

We were lost in conversation when suddenly the car jerks, brakes slam, and we both fly forward.
We scream. 
"AHH!" I try to breathe. "EADELYN!"
"I'm so sorry! You distracted me!" She laughs.
I take a minute to look around and I see a Hospital.
"Why are we here?" I wonder.
She doesn't answer my question. She simply just pulls into the driveway, parks the car, and gets out. I follow.
I decide to repeat my question, "why are we here?"
"You'll see in a minute." She says.

We signed in as visitors. Apparently, we are seeing a close friend. She still hasn't told me who; fear takes over me. We walk to room 82. I open the door to see a guy on the hospital bed asleep and with a bruised face. I cover my mouth, trying not to faint at the sight of blood around him. As we walk closer the face becomes clearer. I notice that it's Jason, my x-boyfriend. I don't know what to do but I can't stop the tears from flowing down my face. I need air, so I walk outside of the Hospital room.

About 5 minutes later, Eadelyn rushes out.
"There you are!" She says frantically.
"W-why would you s-show me J-jason? You know how I felt about him and all that we had to go through. And kn-knowing that he's hurt like this only makes me hurt more." My words are coming out broken.
"You need to be here with him." Ead tells me.
"I can't see him, Ead. He probably moved on a long time ago."
"If you've ever loved him then you'll stay here with him."
I still do love him. I couldn't say the words out loud knowing that he probably didn't feel the same way. But what if he did? What if he hasn't given up on us? But there's always that "what if he has"?

It's been an hour and a half and Jason is still asleep or passed out. I don't know. His parents are waiting with us inside the room and everyone is quite. Even though a lot has happened with me and Jason, his parents have always been like family to us. I look around and then at Jason. Even with a bruised and bloody face, he's still the handsomest guy I've ever seen.
"What happened to him?" I finally ask, holding back tears.
Eadelyn looks up, surprised that I asked a question "He was-" the machines beeping noise interrupted her, then I notice Jason attempting to sit up.
I try to cover my face and hide myself knowing that he probably doesn't want to see me. We make eye contact. His parents make their way over to him and start comforting him, gently. Me and Eadelyn follow behind them and surround his bed.

Jason continues to look directly at me and then finally says,
"Hi, I don't think we've met. I'm Jason. And you are?"
Jason always had a great sense of humor, that's one of the many things I love about him.

I laugh nervously knowing that he's joking. Then I realize that I'm the only one laughing... He wasn't joking.

*********
Hey, guys! So this is my first book... I hope you like it. It would mean the world to me if you gave comments, voted it, added it to your reading list, followed me, etc.
Don't quit reading, it gets better. This is just the beginning and a place to start the story off. Hang in there!
Xoxo,
Mariah