Chapter 1

Okay. Start on the paperwork.

I pulled out a stack of crumpled forms under my bunny paperweight. Hmm... grandma got me the paperweight for easter, what should I get her? I heard that hallmarks has a nice-

Don't get off topic Claire!

Indignantly, I picked up a blue pen and stared at the forms. This was going to be a long night..

!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~!

Meeeeooowwwwww.....

I looked up. The blurry numbers on a flourescent green alarm clock reflected back at me. 12:30 pm. Before I could do anything, a ball of fluff and fur was pushed into my face, and I felt paws slide down my head to my stomach. "Hey! sil *Pfffftttt* ver!" I squinted my eyes and coughed out fur. the creature had retreated and was now looking towards her food bowl. "Meeeoeooowwowowowow!!!" She meowed again, Tail indignantly swishing from side to side, knocking over a empty campsbell soup canister with pencils in it. I sighed with exhaustion.

"Nuts, Tim really needs to learn a lesson about hacking...." I groaned, picking up the canister. Suddenly , the familiar tone of my phone rang. "Yes, yes, I'm coming, it's not the end of the world..." I mumbled grumpily, standing up whilst Using my table and radio for support.

"Good morning america! I'm john davis, radio show host, and on today's music channel we have the wonderful song "It's the end of the world" by R.E.M!" Blasted a annoyingly deep voice out of my ebony black radio. "Oh, well YOU'RE a big help!!!" I scolded. I picked up the vintage 60's dail telephone. "He-llo?" 

"CLAIRE. Meet me at Tony's Spagheti in 10 minutes, be there and I'll by you a free pizza" an excited voice stung my ears. "I don't really want a piz-" The tone of hanging up ignored my attempt to finish my sentence. I shrugged, shimmied into a white t-shirt and a strawberry-print skirt and topped it off with a pair of flats, grabbed my keys and made my way out of the house. 

walking down New york, busy busy new york was one thing you'd have to imagine being in a traffic jam...only you can walk around and park in front. Plus, who doesn't love getting soda on the road? That guy over there at the soda vendor certainly thinks that the 2 Pounds was worth that pepsi.

I pushed my way past a few people standing around with cell phones on their hands, saying "Excuse me" and "Sorry". Feeling the familiar cement ground underneath my flats, I looked around to check If I was in the right place. Big red and white Tony's spaghetti sign? Check. Every single car parking space full? Check. Big glass doors? che-

"CLAIRE!! CLAIRECLAIRECLAIRECLAIRECLAIRECLAIRECLAIRECLAIIIIIRRRREEEEE!!!" I was tackled in a hug by a overly enthusiastic person. Looking up, I found that it was my best friend, anne. On her face was what seemed like was painted a toothy grin. She seemed genuinely, and is, extremely happy. "H-Hi anne." I stammered, catching my breath. "CLAIRE!!!!!" She yelled again, for no reason. "Ummm... HI. ANNE!!!! WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING??" I yelled back, confused.  She grinned even wider.

Then, she started to squeel  very , very, very softly. She slowly brought up her left hand. I looked up, trying not to roll my eyes. "Yes, yes, I know that Strawberry Nails! have good manicurists, but-" "CLAIRE.   Look for once!!!!!!!!!!!!" Anne snapped, frowning. I let out a breath, and stared. And stared. And stared some more. Okay claire, Take it all in, annnnddddd....

On her ring finger was a big, spangly, glistening, Twin blue diamond ring with a beautiful golden peacock on top of it.. Diamonds studded the platinum glowing ring, and it caught the sunlight like a brand of fire. "SQUEEEEEEELLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" . "I KNOW I KNOW I KNOW I KNOOWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" . We started dancing and squealing some more. "OH MY GOSH CONGRATS ANNE!!!!!!!!" 

"Oi! Will you two ladies keep it down please? Ain't easy running a businness of my own." somebody pushed open the glass doors of the pizza store,  and stood outside. "Oh be quiet jake, besides, You don't own Tony's pizza. Your pap does." I glared at him, still dancing for anne's gorgeous wedding ring. It's really gorgeous isn't it...... maybe I should have something gorgeous. Once in a while. maybe....

" I might not own it but I run it." Jake snickered cheekily. "So how'd you two like a pizza or two? Free, for the sake of childhood friends." . I stopped dancing, and looked to anne for her suggesti- "Hey!! WHERE'S ANNE??" I yelled, looking around. "WHAT ARE YOU TWO DING-DONGS WAITING FOR , FREE PIZZA? WAIT.... YOU ARE!!!! LET'S EAT!!!!!!!!" I looked up, to see that anne was already at the doorway. Jake rolled his eyes and smiled. "Some things never change....." .

"You got that right. Like your hair?" I replied, snickering under my breath. "Hey!!! my hair's not permanent, it's just special!" Jake pretended that I hurt his feelings "Whatever. First one in, first one serve." . "You're on!!!!" I raced as fast as I could in flats, with jake behind me. I laughed, and laughed happily. It's these times I can just forget about the wicked witch, Troubling papers, leave behind everything that's been bothering me lately.

And I love it.