Chapter 2

Silence.

That's all I ever heard. The vast field of eerie quiet, surrounded by a sea of nothing. Every day, all day. It was pure torture, nothing good coming from the silence, all it brought was spectators which turned into bullies. A reason I partially lacked. I didn't know what happened to me, it was as if silence was engraved into my bones, forever there and destined to be unnoticed.

I was 16 when I forgot the answer, the greeting and the prayer. Therapy never did much good, it only made my shell deeper. Forcing all that's inside of it to go further into it, losing all sight on reality. The darkness was something I had grown accustomed to, and eventually missed.

My parents were very involved in the country. My mother a well established banker, my father a closet alcoholic whom everyone saw a hero.

He had been at war with himself while my mother desperately tried to raise four growing children, apart from her spouse.

Piper Valentine? More like a black hole, void of emotions, speech and resolve. Dignitary or not, there was nothing that would ever hold promise to me. The parties only made it worse, and so did he; or so I was led to believe by the burden I constantly carry, the burden of a torn apart soul.

--

December 15th, 1936.

I met a young man today, mother said he was to be a soldier. That upset me, why would someone want to put themselves in danger, at the risk of irreparable damage?

A displeased look was on my face, and the man noticed. His head tilted in question, and his hand stretched toward me.

"Miss Piper, is there something bothering you?"

I didn't answer.

After the young man left, Harold was his name, come to think of it, I went back to my paradise which could be easily confused as my cell, and sat on the bed.

My eyes were toward the window, wondering if my father would come home safely from the market.

Seas of green shrubbery stretched out to the gate, cobblestone paths creeping along the freshly watered grass. My little brother, Franklin was running around the yard, chasing-

"Piper? God dammit girl, wake up. You're 45 minutes late for school and your dad is getting angry. He's out in the car now, you have 10 minutes to get ready and get your ass out that door."

----------

Hey guys! this chapter might be a little bit confusing, and I know it's really short. Sorry for just disappearing without a reason, I have trouble keeping a project going.

In case you're confused, Piper sits alone in her room at home, so she daydreams about a time she thinks she would like to be a part of, when in reality, she's in 2014 like the rest of us!