Chapter One: The Creeps

"Es, will you come help me unpack?"
I nodded a signal, yes.
"This house sure is nice. Do you think Aunt Laurie would mind that we've moved here?"
I nodded. Allyett never actually got to know Aunt Laurie like I did. It hurt me much more than it did for anyone when we lost her. I see her in my dreams all the time, and sometimes she speaks to me.

I am dumb, meaning that I wasn't born with the ability to speak. I guess you could say that my lost ability was replaced with a better one. I am a medium, meaning that I can connect with the dead. No one in my family knows, and I don't want them to.

To be honest, this place scares me. I already see Aunt Laurie in my dreams, and now I live in the house that she died in. My room is the very room where her soul left her body! I don't want it!

"Es, are you okay?"
I shrugged my shoulders because the whole time I was helping Ally, I was daydreaming. Allyett is my younger sister. She's seven, and she's always been my companion. As we've grown older, we've also grown further apart. Especially now. Every time we talk, it feels like we're complete strangers.

"Esmerelda, Allyett, it's dinner time!"
"C'mon Es!"
I followed Allyett  downstairs to an old wooden table with a ragged antique table cloth that looked almost fifty years old. Mom and dad were sitting across from Ally and I. Mom had ordered pizza for dinner tonight because none of her cookware had been unpacked yet.

About half an hour passed by and before I knew it, it was time for bed. This is just terrible. I have to sleep all alone in the dark in a room where my aunt died. Wow. I hate to admit it, but I'm terrified.

I walked out of the bathroom after brushing my teeth, and I could've sworn to myself that something just raced past me. I was quite startled at first, and blamed it on being tired. I turned out my lights and climbed into my bed. As I was positioning, trying to get comfortable, I heard a voice.

I knew I recognized that voice from anywhere. I had to be aunt Laurie. As a medium, I speak to her often. But this time, things were different. It felt different. It didn't feel like I was listening to her. I just pulled my pillow over my face and tried to sleep it off. The voice wouldn't stop. It got louder, louder, and louder. It felt like she was sitting next to me, just talking away, but I had no idea what she was saying because I was half asleep.

I closed my eyes and thought to myself, "wow, this place really gives me the creeps."