Chapter Sixteen | Can You Come Clean My Apartment?

Start from the beginning

"Hi guys, what can I get you?" I asked two women sitting at the booth right up against the window. They turned to look up at me, and my mind instantly registered them as sisters. One looked younger, around seventeen, while the other seemed a few years older than me. 

And they both were stunning. 

Similar hair colour, although the younger one had less of a reddish tint in her brown hair. The older ones hair was deep and beautiful, red and brown and auburn all at once. Their eyes sort of matched, but the older ones were more greener, the younger ones more like a sea greeny blue. 

"I'll have the chicken salad please, and a latte." The oldest one smiled. I nodded, writing down her order, then looked over to the younger one. "And you?"

"Can I get the BLT please? It sounds delicious." She said, and I nodded, smiling as I wrote her order down. 

"That ones this diners speciality." I told her, and she grinned at me as I finished writing down their orders. 

"This place is packed," the older one murmured. "Are you short staffed or just this crazily popular all the time?" 

"Short staffed," I corrected, "we've been meaning to hire more help for a while, but today's kind of made it clear that we need to actually do it." I half laughed, and she smiled with me.

"Well, we've just moved to town. Last night, in fact. Indy's going to need a job, would you be interested?" The older one directed the question not only at me but at her younger sister, who's name I assumed was Indy. I couldn't help but wonder what her line of work was, because she seemed to be a good sort of person who would fit the leadership role perfectly.

"Yeah, I would. Only if you're hiring." She said while looking up at me. I grinned, excited with the prospect of a new worker.

"Trust me, after today, we'll be hiring. I'll write your name on the top of the list, too." I said, scribbling down 'Indy' next to her order. "What was the last name, sorry?" 

"Ewing. Indy Ewing." The girl looked excited too at the thought of working at the diner, so I got the feeling she already had the job as soon as Ryan met her.

"Thanks. I hope you guys settle in well here, too. Do you know anyone other than your aunt?" I asked, actually curious. Indy nodded and giggled.

"Yeah, her ex."

I laughed. "Well, at least that'll make things interesting."

By the time I'd gotten her phone number and walked away to serve another table, the diner was just starting to clear out a little. Shelly and I breathed a little sigh of relief as we passed each other with full plates of food. The two sisters left a good sized tip, too, which made me like the two more.

I hoped I'd see more of them, and had a feeling I would.

I was just running a cloth over one of the tables later that afternoon because the diner had finally cleared out of people when the door chimed open and Shelly's face blossomed into a secret little smile. 

"Afternoon, Officer Morgan. You after a coffee?" My head snapped up at the mere mention of Flynn's name. Spinning, I spotted him making his way over to the counter, grinning at Shelly.

"Yes please, that would be perfect." His eyes swung to me, and his smile widened as his eyes flashed with something close to heat. Shelly moved into the kitchen, and Flynn turned towards me.

My feet were frozen on the floor. He was in his uniform, which made him look all the more appealing, and the memories of the night before at the hospital hit me full force. 

For the Love of the LawOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara