Chapter Twenty One

Start from the beginning

A plump cop stalked towards us. His eyes lingered on Nicole's, before he turned to me. "I'm going to ask you girls to leave. It's too dangerous for anybody to be here." His eyes narrowed when Perrie scoffed. "However, I assure you that we have everything under control." I caught the cop's lie, but remained calm for the sake of the girls' confidence. My heart was pounding against my rib cage, threatening to leap out. "Please do not make this harder for us, and keep this a secret until you leave. We will have officer Keller escort you to the car park. Once again, it's not safe here--I'm sure at this age you'd know by now that the effects of what's happening to her--" he pointed a fat finger at Nicole, "-means her mate is here. He is not a good person."

"Your assurances mean nothing to me." Perrie spat, and the nurse and three girls--myself included--turned to her with surprised faces, the cop only arching a thick brow. "This girl here doesn't look like she's in the best condition! Why is that?" She obviously knew why but tried to keep the cop preoccupied. Why? I have no clue.

"Ma'am, please understand-"

"No! Help her, now! She's gonna fucking break!" Perrie screamed and pointed at the girl. Nicole was breathing heavily and her face paled.

The other security guards all had their pistols ready, hiding behind their backs so the hostile wouldn't see what's coming.

"Sir!" One of them said, and the officer shared a final glare with the blonde haired girl before turning around to the cop. All police officers exited the tent after a quiet chorus of murmurs, only the head chief that talked to us remaining inside.

Perrie's phone was suddenly ringing loudly, and she groaned and pulled it out to turn it on silent. However, when she saw that 'Marcel' was calling her, she answered immediately.

"Liam." she murmured lowly, turning her back to me. I thought I saw Nicole jerk, but continued to watch Perrie, confused. "Not now! I've got-"

"We've compromised !" I heard a shriek on the other end of the phone, and through the gap of the tent's opening, heard someone scream, 'duck!' and saw a searing, blinding flash illuminate the place for a split second--the deathly sound of a boom, louder than the closest thunder, coming a second afterwards. I recognized it as a grenade from the time Niall threw it at the cops last time.

"Perrie, run run!" Liam yelled darkly on the other end. The officer whirled around with a scowl. "What's this-"

The bright, curvy dagger of Perrie's blade was in her hand in seconds and thrusted into the officer's chest in another. She pulled it out and stabbed him repetitively. The officer made a gurgling noise once Perrie stabbed his neck with a grunt, and slumped onto the ground.

I froze. It happened so quickly I couldn't think, or react. But the girl behind me--not the hurt one--screamed loudly, mixed with the cop's yelp. Just before the cop fell onto the ground, Perrie snatched the gun off his hip and pulled the trigger, the bullet slamming into an officer who ran inside to see what the commotion was about.

He, too, screamed, and collapsed onto the ground with a thud. Nicole and her friend were sobbing behind us uncontrollably.

"Go, go!" Perrie screamed and grabbed Nicole and her friend's arm and shoved them off their seats, pushing them to the back of the tent. "Evelyn!" Perrie barked, and I finally began to run after them. As we were running out Perrie told us to cover our faces with our shirts, and so we did, making sure nobody saw what we looked like. Perrie threw a jacket at me, showing all her tattoos, and I covered my face.

Once we exited the tent I saw colorful lights everywhere, the song We Sink by Chvrches playing in the background.

We ducked a spray of bullets, the screams of boys, girls and children echoing around us. At the end of the carnival were two boys with black beanies covering their faces, peering through two holes whilst holding pistols that belonged to the guards.