Chapter Fourteen- Human

((This chapter is in the midst of being edited. Nothing here is completely final!))

The panicked whispers of the people in the tent slowly returned to Aelwen's ears. She took a deep breath, mint-scented air filling her lungs. Her eyes focused on her outstretched paw. She willed herself to make it a hand.

Before her very eyes, the claws shrunk back into fingernails, and red scales retreated back into peach skin. Aelwen smiled as tears slid down the slowly morphing cheeks of a dragon to those of a human.

Wings shriveled back into her spine. Her tail shrunk down as her body grew smaller and smaller, brown hair sprouting from her head and cascading down her scale-less back. Her legs changed shape, heels and knees lowering while her teeth flattened out, fangs reduced to the size of the rest. It wasn't painful at all, like the first time around, instead it felt natural, like sliding from one end of a room to another.

She lay on the rug covering the ground in a fetal position, tangled hair covering her tear-stained face and chest. She let out a long, happy sigh.

The room was filled with a tense silence. Gerel was the first to break it. By laughing.

Aelwen looked up, and gave a loud screech. She was naked. Among quite a few people.

Quickly, she took the edge of the rug and placed it over her.

"KOTUYA, STOP LOOKING RIGHT NOW!" both her and his mother cried at the same time. Kotuya's father put a hand over his son's eyes, while the males of the room turned their heads away in embarrassment.

Kera tossed Aelwen a blanket, which she quickly wrapped around herself. She attempted to stand up, but failed spectacularly and fell to the ground. Not again... she thought to herself with a resigned smile.

She had done it. Finally, she was back to her old self again. A flittering sense of joy and accomplishment filled her heart. Thank you, Auria.

The people cheered and clapped their hands. Kotuya's mother got up from her sitting position and walked over to Aelwen, bending down and whispering that she'd fetch her some clothes.

Aelwen nodded and blushed, subconsciously tucking her hair behind her ear. It was nice to have hair again. It needs a good brush though, that's for sure.

A few children ran up to her, asking her an assortment of questions.

"Did you see Auria!?" "What's she like?" "Was she a deer-y or a lady-y?" "Are you glad you're a human again?"

Aelwen laughed nervously. "Well... I... uh-"

"Let us give the girl her peace. She is very overwhelmed at the moment," Kotuya's father ordered.

Kera swiftly shooed the little ones away, causing them to run out of the tent in fits of giggles. The bulk of the crowd followed them, looking at Aelwen in amazement as they passed.

"The daughter of Liriel is among us now, and a follower of Auria, no less," one woman whispered. "I can hardly believe it."

"This could lead to many great things for us," said another. "She can lead Shifters around the world to understanding their true nature."

Kotuya's mother returned with clothes folded in her hands. She crouched before Aelwen, handing them to her.

"T-thank you," Alewen said gratefully. She brushed her hands over the cloth, lifting up the clothes to see their form more clearly.

It was a dress in the style of her kingdom, a sweeping gown intended for commoners, but pretty nonetheless. The white sleeves were decorated with frills on their mid-length edges, while a red skirt flowed gracefully from the bottom. A lace-up bodice decorated the chest.