Chapter 6- Appearances

Start from the beginning

Realizing she wasn't going to get the fabric any cleaner, she threw the napkins on a nearby table in frustration. "My clothes are completely ruined."

"I could offer you some new ones," the man said, reminding India he was there. She looked up at him confused. "I own a shop down the street, I could take you and get you some more."

Now feeling uncomfortable and weird, India shook her head. "No I'm ok. I'll just go home and change." The old man seemed nice enough. His big warm hazel eyes were really welcoming but she wasn't going to  jump into a car with a stranger.

"You sure? I'm sure my place is closer," he laughed at India's horrified facial expression. Which only made India more uncomfortable. "Of course I mean my shop."

India shook her head again. "That's fine. I'll just go put on clothes I already own." She stepped around the man and headed to the door. The man was shouting something at her but she was already out the door. That was weird.

Catching a cab home, she quickly headed in to change. She was sticky so she decided she needed a shower too. After hopping in the shower, singing along to the music blasting from her phone, she got out and got dressed. She threw on some light wash jeans, a red plaid shirt and white vans; adding studs and a silver chain, she headed back out. She was actually hoping to see Brian on her way out but she knew that wouldn't happen because he was most likely at work. You don't need the distraction right now anyway.

She decided she'd do her bag shopping later, so she wouldn't be carrying the bags around all day. She wouldn't be able to get her phone today like she wanted because she wouldn't have a card number to put on the forms. Walking into the furniture store she already knew what she was looking for. Heading first to the living room section of the store, she picked out her furniture, then headed to dining room, then kitchen, and so on and so fourth. She couldn't wait to get her money back so she could see all the furniture in her apartment. She could already see it.

Suddenly, she realized it wasn't really decorating her apartment that had her excited. It was the fact that doing so would make it her own. She would be putting her own style into the place, making it hers. Meaning she wouldn't be going anywhere. Finally getting to see the place how she wanted would mean she was staying. She couldn't remember when the last time was she felt like she fit somewhere. Like she was actually home. Knowing she was so close to being able to call the place home felt good.

She couldn't wait.

<><><><><>

Before going to Freddy's, India hit big name stores and walked out of each with four to five bags. Then she hit small family run businesses where she mainly only got jewelry and other little trinkets. The only time he had stopped to rest was to grab lunch. And if she wasn't buying clothes she was sampling nearby food places, picking out her favorites from what she ate. By the time the cab pulled up at Freddy's doors, she was waist high with bags of all shapes and sizes, and it was well past two o'clock. Fortunately for India, the store didn't close until five. That gave her at least two hours to indulge herself.

She stepped into the small building and a smile lit her face at the vast array of clothing. The bell above the door had alerted the girl on duty to India's presence. Appearing from behind a rack of clothes the girl smiled. She has to be only be about eighteen. She had caramel colored skin and big hazel eyes. She wore a pink creme maxi skirt and white shawl sweater with black flats. She actually looked like someone India had seen before.

"Hi, I'm Nadia. Do you need any assistance today?" The girl had this air about her that just made you want to be happy and bubbly. It was infectious. India couldn't help the huge smile that came to her face.