Chapter 1

Chapter 1: Sadie

"Sadie? Start packing and stop dwaddling! We are leaving to go to Disneyland tomorrow!"

My mom said, looking over at my suitcase to see that all I had packed was a shirt and a pair of shorts.

"Yeah, I will"

She left the room, leaving me to pack my things. I walked over to my dresser and opened the second drawer which contained shirts. What do I pack? I had no idea. I thought I'd better pack something nice though, I planned to maybe go boy-hunting to find a guy worthy of my liking. I picked up a pretty white tank top that had thin lace ruffles down the front and threw it in my light blue suitcase.

I wonder what Disneyland would be like. I wondered weather there would be better guys there, suntanned, strong and wanting to take me away into the sunset. My thoughts obviously proved to be hopeless fantasies here. The guys here were rude, self-centered and only used girls. There were probably only at least three decent ones that were very nice, honest and friendly, but, to tell the truth, I wanted something more than that.

I come out of my thoughts and walk over to my closet. As I open the door, I see the dress I just bought, it's light blue and has a pretty floral pattern on it. I might as well pack that too.

I throw in a few more clothes and zip up my suitcase. I then pick it up and bring it down stairs, it's way heavier for something with only clothes in it. I drop it at the front door and walk into the kitchen where my mother is frantically running around trying to get everything in order.

"Done" I announce.

My mom doesn't say anything, she doesn't even look my way, she must be in a real rush to get things packed.

"Whatever" I mumble and climb the staircase back into my room.

My brother Desmond walks past me with his cell phone held to his ear.

"Oh yes, definitely, she's the best looking girl I know. But she's mine, dude, I called dibs"

I start laughing. He glares at me and walks swiftly into his room, shutting the door behind him. I laugh some more. I know exactly who he's referring to. My best friend Savannah. He's had a thing for her ever since he met her. I think she might actually like him back... She denies it because she knows that he's my brother but I can see it in her eyes. I think the only reason they aren't dating is because of me. I stand in the way of their perfect little relationship. It's like a game.

My own phone starts to ring, blaring the Harry Potter theme song.

"Hello?"

"Hey!" Savannah says on the other line.

"Oh hey Sav"

" Leaving for Disneyland soon?" She asks.

"Yeah, I'm excited! Wanna come over and watch a movie? I leave tomorrow, you know"

"Sure, I'll be there in twenty minutes"

"Des is home" I tease.

"Hmm.. Is he?" I can almost hear a hint of excitement or maybe it's longing, in her voice.

I laugh.

"See you soon" I hang up.

I walk over to Des's room and lightly knock on the door.

"What the hell do you want?" I hear him call.

Seconds later, he pulls the door open and looks at me, expecting a good explanation for why I disturbed him.

"Guess who's coming over?"

"Savannah??" He asks hopefully.

I neglect to answer his question, instead I walk back into my room. I hear him shout "YES!!" And he runs into the bathroom to make sure he looks good for Savannah. As if he'll ever look good... He's my brother. Ew.

I hear Savannah knock at the front door. I start descending down the stairs, only to have Desmond bolt past me and get the door before I have the chance to protest.

"Hey Savannah"

"Hey Desmond"

I decide to sit on the stairs instead, eavesdropping on their conversation.

"You look very pretty today" my brother says, staring into her eyes.

In fact she does look pretty, in a burgundy dress with a floral pattern, no doubt hastily put on in attempt to impress my brother.

As I sit on the steps, I can't help but notice that they do look good together. She's just the perfect amount shorter than he is and their brown hair matches. Her eyes are blue and his eyes are brown, not exactly matching, but cute nonetheless. There isn't much of an age difference either. Savannah and I are the same age. Seventeen. And Des is only eighteen. My parents had Des and I very close together.

Des looks back and gives me a look that says "can you go upstairs for a minute". I can't help but wonder if he's trying to tell me if he is finally going to ask her on a date. I climb the steps and sit quietly on my bed, waiting.

"Oh my god! He asked you to a movie?" I ask, surprised

"Yes, he did" Savannah says, a smile spreading across her face.

"And what did you say?"

"Well... I told him I'd have to think about it. I had to talk to you first"

"You know... I saw you guys today and you look so good together and you make each other happy, I guess it would be okay with me if you started dating"

"Really?" Her eyes were wide.

I thought for a moment. Did I really want my brother to date my best friend? But I realized it was something Savannah really wanted.

"Yes. Go knock on his door, tell him you can"

She thanked me and gave me a hug before rushing over to Desmond's bedroom.

I stood at the opening of my room, watching and listening.

Des opened the door and smiled when he saw her.

"Hey babe"

Savannah giggled. My brother is such a loser.

"Hey. So... I was thinking and I would like to go to a movie with you"

Desmond wrapped his arms around her.

"Sounds good, we can go as soon as I get back from Disneyland"

"Alright" she looks up, gives him a quick kiss on the cheek and makes her way back to my room to gossip with me.