"All of the authors of these reports are here today and they have all assured me that they are quite willing to testify to this before the Royal Succession Committee if need be," said Lord Blackstar. "Step forward please, ladies and gentlemen."

There was shuffling in the public galleries. Alex looked up as eighteen different people, mostly doctors and scientists – all of them looking tight-lipped, nervous and unhappy to be there – came to the front of the galleries, squeezing around the journalists who were trying to photograph them. There was more whispering and muttering among the MPs. But this time, it sounded anxious.

"All I am asking, prime minister, is for permission to at least attempt the new treatments on Prince Max," said Lord Blackstar. "Before we deprive him of his birth right forever. I cannot, in good conscience, be a party to that."

"He wouldn't know good conscience if it bit him in the..." said Ellen, just before Alice shushed her.

"l... see," said the prime minister. He tried to think of a good way to respond to this and failed. "Well, I can understand your... feelings, Lord Blackstar, but I'm not sure why you are asking me about this. Major medical treatments on a member of the royal family, who is incapable of giving their own consent, can only be done with the consent of the monarch."

"Ah, yes. The monarch," said Lord Blackstar. "Her royal highness Princess Jessamine – as the regent or as the crown princess – does not have that authority under the constitution. The problem is, as you said, that the latest move in King Stephen's Last Game has not been completed yet. We are currently between monarchs. If the move hasn't been played by the end of the week, under the Emergency Royal Succession Act of 4229, that authority will revert to the head of government. That is your honorable self, prime minister. And, in the unlikely, but possible event of that happening, I'm afraid I must insist – on my authority as Lord Chancellor of the star cluster – that we hold a vote on the issue."

There was frantic murmuring in the chamber. MPs craned their necks or ducked down in their seats, trying to talk to the people beside or behind them. People looked things up on their computer pads or sent their assistants running to find copies of the constitution.

"That is... within your rights as chancellor, Lord Blackstar," said the prime minister, wishing very hard that a large meteorite would suddenly drop through the ceiling and crush Lord Blackstar flat. "Though I must say I find it hard to imagine you will find many members of this assembly who will be willing to vote for non-consensual invasive surgery on a member of the royal family."

"I'm fully aware of that, Prime Minister," said Lord Blackstar. "But my conscience demands that I try. And you never know. I might find some other members of this assembly who share at least some of my concerns."

All over the chamber, a large number of MPs shifted in their seats. They tried to sink down as low as possible into their chairs, avoiding meeting anyone's eyes. Alex saw they belonged to all the main political parties and were well spread out on both sides of the chamber. He realised, with fast growing horror, that Lord Blackstar had already lined up all the votes he was going to need.

"That is all I wish to say for now, Prime Minister," said Lord Blackstar. "Though I do ask that before we break for lunch, we hold a minute's silence in honour of King Geoffrey."

* * * * * * *

"How by all the black holes in Sagittarius does Lord Blackstar have that many friends?" said Ellen, an hour later, as they walked back into the palace.

The entrance hall was filled with flower baskets and bouquets. They covered all the tables and were spread over most of the floor, blooming in a dozen shades of every colour. They had been arriving all morning from all over Magenta, the other planets in the star cluster and from all of the Pleiades nearest neighbours in space, with messages of condolences on King Geoffrey's death. Most of them had been sent before the prime minister had asked that they be sent to the royal greenhouses and the palace servants were coming in and out, taking them away.