“What is it?” replied Nicholas who was sitting back-to-back against the girl.

       “With everyone on this train either killed or turned into a Gemi, who is driving it?”

       “Actually, nobody is driving the train.”

       “I see, I read that it has something to do with the IDI.”

       “That’s right. Inertia Disruption Ions, or IDI, was developed recently by a team of scientists led by Rolph Durg in the city of Aquafrequem. These super-charged ions’ lifespan are extremely short but once they are deployed, we won’t be affected by inertia or the effect of any external force. To make this simple, usually these trains moved at the speed of 400 kilometres per hour, not to mention that they were levitating along the track due to the Weightless Disks installed under them. When they are getting near a station, the trains reached a specially constructed rails known as Sand Paper Rails. Like ordinary sand papers, these rails strengthen the frictional force between the rails and the trains when they landed on it. As this occurred, the IDI is deployed to ensure that the passengers do not stumble around due to their inertia until the ions’ lifespan is spent as the trains reached the station.”

       “Still, there were incidents where the Paper Sand Rail and the IDI, failed to stop the train.”

       “Interested, aren’t you? Even when the ADI and the Paper Sand Rail failed, the Station Masters will use the Gravity Cancellation Grenade, or GCG provided by the Dash Foundation, to neutralize the gravity on the train, leaving it floating for several minutes as it effectively stopped it.”

       “Now arriving at Parliament,” announced the intercom.

       “Guess that’s our stop. By the way, I’ve a question for you, Nic. At the Church, I witnessed you fighting off those Gemis. After that, you said something to that dead couple. Raquisat in Paiceh?” asked Charlotte.

       “No, it’s Requeiscat in pace. It means ‘rest in peace’ in Italian,” answered Nicholas.

       “Italian? I thought that the language is gone after ‘The Mundi Transfigure’.”

       “That what they say about Chinese and Spanish but the truth is that despite the world has changed, humanity’s curiosity doesn’t. As they travelled through this new world, they teach new people their individual language. Soon, these people will be adapted into the new languages and that’s how these languages will never be gone.”

       “I see. As long as curiosity stands, humanity’s thirst for knowledge will never cease. But I’m curious. What exactly happened that night 140 years ago?”

       “It’s…complicating to explain in one go. Plus, like some people said, curiosity kills the cat. Are you sure you wanted to know?”

       Charlotte looked down, thinking hard. “You talk in your sleep,” she answered.

       Nicholas thought hard for a moment before replying. “Just give me some time to think about it. If the time is right, I may explain it to you.”

       “May?”

       “Well, it’s what the protagonist always say before he died along with his secrets.”

       “So you’re not going to tell me?”

       “Maybe,” Nicholas said with a small smile.

       “Meanie,” Charlotte replied with a pout.

       “Sorry, Charl. How about we talk about this after I finish my delivery? We’re almost at out stop.”

       “Fine,” Charlotte said as she stood up but suddenly, she fell forwards as if her legs have stopped functioning. With a swift movement, Nicholas caught her before she hit the ground hard. Her body was stiff and cold.

       “Charl! Are you okay, Charl? Charlotte Mana Angela!” he said as he shook her body gently.

       “How many times do I have to tell you to call me Charl?” Charlotte replied weakly.

       “Sorry, old habits. Now allow me to check your vital signs.”

       Nicholas put his hand on Charlotte’s neck. Luckily for him, her pulse was normal. He checked around her body and found no trace of a wound. “Could this be a side-effect when her Inner Crystle is destroyed?” he thought. Comforting Charlotte, he asked, “Are you feeling alright?”

       “I’m okay, just feeling weak. Maybe I’ll just…” Before she could say further, a pair of feathery wings sprouted out from her back accompanied by a pair of feather-like objects at the top and bottom of the wings. As Nicholas looked on in shock, feathers rained down from her wings onto the ground.

       Shaking, Charlotte grabbed at the boy’s arm. “What am I? What the heck am I?” Her voice was trembled in both fear and shock.

       Nicholas looked into her eyes, thinking of any possible explanation of this. Alas, there was none. Closing his eyes, the boy looked down.

       “I don’t know…I just don’t know.”

Chapter 1 Ended