Chapter Three- Job Hunt

Start from the beginning

India quickly sobered and became really self conscious. "You really think I have a chance though? For the job?" She thought about her history and what would happen if they found out she was a "murderer." There was no way she would get the job. And they would find out. Their freaking lawyers for crying out loud. It's their job to find the "truth."

"Honey," Gina said pulling her from her thoughts, "if you put in enough effort, you could take over the damn business." Gina placed her hand on the door handle. "You ready to kill em?" She asked.

India fixed her clothes and checked herself in the mirror next to the door of the office. Looking back at Gina she smiled. "More ready than I'll over be." Gina gave her another one of her killer smiles before pushing open the metal silver door.

"Mr. Thomas your 10:30," Gina said in a professional tone. India looked at her, trying hard to believe it was the same girl that was talking about "blonde bimbos" earlier. The man sitting at the big brown desk grunted but didn't look up. Gina nodded her head and turned to leave, flashing India a smile and lightly grabbing and squeezing her hand. Leaning in slightly she whispered, "You got this." Then the door clicked as she walked out.

India stood awkwardly by the door not knowing what to do. The man, whom she's guessing to be Mr. Vincent Thomas, not looking up murmured, "You can have a seat Miss. London." Duh, idiot. She silently cursed herself as she got comfortable in one of the plush seats faxing the desk. Straightening out her skirt, she placed her bag on the ground next to her and placed her file into her lap.

Satisfied, India took the chance to look around. It was a really nice office and it was either far from the crowd or sound proof because she couldn't hear any of the chaos from earlier. It was a square shaped office with creme colored walls embedded with clear stained glass windows every foot or so with a matching creme carpet. One half of the office held the desk, two office chairs, and two plush leather seats. The other half held a sofa and matching love seat, a coffee table, and a gigantic tv. There were three doors. One being the one she had just come through. The others were wild guesses.

She brought her attention back to in front if her when she heard a sigh and movement. Mr. Thomas had stood from his seat and was making his way to the other side of his desk. "Sorry for that. I was just looking over some paper work to finally get this case closed."

"Would that be the same case that everyone outside is fussing over?" The question was out of her mouth before she realized they were coming.

Mr. Thomas looked at her surprised then answered. "Yes actually? You know about that?"

"Only vaguely. Gina, the receptionist mentioned it and I had done a little reading on it beforehand."

"What do you know about it?"

"I know you've guys been working on it to for almost two months now and it's a murder case." Mr. Thomas waited as if wanting her to continue and she did. "A man was accused of killing a random girl who you later actually found to his father's mistress. If you ask me that was an open and shut case." Another statement that wasn't suppose to come out.

Mr. Thomas's expression changed to one of confusion. "What do you mean?" He asked.

"Well," she started, "It's just it was obvious. Why would the son of all people kill the mistress?" He looked confused. "It took you guys two weeks to point fingers at anyone else because evidence pointed to him but you never really looked at motive. The son would be mad because his dad was cheating yeah, but he wouldn't take it out in the girl, but his father. He was raised right and he knew to treat women with respect no matter the fault, he wouldn't have faulted her."

"Who would you have thought did it?" He asked. He tried to sound condescending, like he was only humoring her but she heard a hint of curiosity in his tone.

"The daughter."

He seemed surprised at that. "Not the mother?" India shook her head. "Well why not?" He comes and sits in the chair next to India and she turns to face him.

"She was the one who raised the man. She taught him not to disrespect women and to treat them right." He looked confused. "If she was teaching the boys, who do you think was teaching the girls?"

He thought for a moment before his features rose with understanding. "The father."

"Exactly. He taught her not to let a man mistreat her and if he did he needed to be dealt with. Violently."

"But that comes back to the father being murderer."

"No. It doesn't."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean daughter saw her father in a ray of light. She thinks he's the perfect man and so when she finds out he's cheating she thinks one thing- he can be forgiven. He has to be but that can only happen if the threat is gone."

"The threat being the mistress."

"Yes. But she didn't mean to kill her. She was a sweet girl, the couldn't hurt a fly type. But then she went to talk to the girl and she was spewing "lies" about her father and she lost it."

"She grabs the brick and goes ballistic."

India sits back and crosses her legs. "Case closed."

"But something doesn't add up." By this point he's completely invested in what India's saying and wants to hear everything.

"Mhm, what's that?"

"How the world did you figure all that out?" India laughed and he joined in moments later. "I'm serious. You solved a case in 2 minutes that we couldn't solve in two months."

The sound of a door opening registered in her brain and she turned in her seat, wiping her eyes to see who it was.

"Oh India I want you to meet my son-"

"Brian?" She gasped.

The man standing in the doorway was just as surprised as her. But his awe passes quicker than hers and he's soon smiling. "Well I guess we're seeing each other sooner than we thought, huh?"