Chapter Three- Job Hunt

Start from the beginning

"Well India, Mr. Thomas will see you now." She said ushering her over. Walking over nonchalantly, India made her way through the doorway the woman stood in and into the main office area. It was a wave of activity, a blur of people moving to and fro. Papers were flying through the air and people were talking on phones and simultaneously yelling at other people across the office space.

The girl, noticing India's awestruck expression, placed a reassuring hand on her arm, that was firmly clutching the resume she had typed up last night when she had realized she didn't actually have one.

"It's not usually this chaotic, but one of the biggest cases some of our people have been working for the last month just made a big break," the girl reassured. India relaxed a bit but the girl continued. "I'm not going to lie it can get crazy sometimes but never as-"she paused looking for the right word, "-disorganized." India looked back at the people bustling about, some carrying large stacks of papers.

The first company India was interviewing for was a big up-and-coming law firm and detective agency that had just recently spanned to two other states. Making the total 22. Thomas and Jefferson was a family run company that was still run by one of the original owners Vincent Thomas. Oliver Jefferson stepped down just last year and gave his title over to his son, Luke. Even though, days later, there was talk of Luke saying he didn't want the position and instead wanted to leave the family business and pursue his dreams in the art industry. Though Oliver made it clear these were only rumors, no one can argue Luke hasn't been holding his own. Vincent, the other owner, says he's still in the process of preparing his son for the title of CEO. He had just announced last week that he was planning on joining his dear friend in retirement life.

India didn't think it was the proper company to start with, them being so busy all the time and constantly on the move. She was sure they would want more qualified personal on staff and some flimsy online degree really wouldn't hold up. One that she had yet to aquire but said she had in her profile. People lie on resumes all the time right?

India pulled herself from her thoughts when her and the girl stood outside of an office with a stained glass windowed door. She could hear muffled speech from the other side but could only tell they were men by the bass to their voices.

"Is he busy. I can just come back later?" India turned ready to leave.

The girl laughed and lightly grabbed her arm. "He's not busy. His son is in there with him." India's eyes widened more, that revelation not helping her at all. The girl laughed again. "Don't be nervous. He just wanted him to sit in on a couple of interviews so he could see how it works. Nothing big. He'll be mostly quite the entire time just watching. He may insert a few opinions every now and then but that's it. There's nothing to worry about." They girl patted India's arm and that's when she realized she was shaking. She had been ready to defend herself to say she wasn't nervous but that was before she saw she felt ready to vomit.

"I'm Gina by the way." The girl side again. India looked up into the girls eyes and she seems to relax. "I've been through this before. Mr. Thomas may seem like a tough guy but he's nothing short of a teddy bear. And his son the same." India laughed at the man she had seen in so many photos being a teddy bear. There weren't any of his son but she couldn't imagine anything other than his father. Tall, broad shoulders, cold grey eyes, chestnut brown hair and a crooked pointed nose. "I promise you got this. You're all worried for nothing. I've read your file. To be honest you're more qualified than any of the other bimbos who've walked through here."

"Really?" India managed after she had stopped shaking.

Gina nodded and scoffed. "They're all the same. Tall blondes, with big breasts, wide hips and big blue eyes. Only hoping to get the job off looks and just to sleep with the bosses. Who aren't interested by the way." Gina rolled her eyes and mocked a retch. India laughed, and she noticed the more she talked to the girl the more she relaxed.