Chapter 3

Mr Lester.

I can't tear my eyes away. Being gay sucks sometimes. 

Mr Lester looks about twenty two, he must be a new teacher. He has jet black hair, swept to the left in a style not too different from my own. He wears blue black glasses, which frame his perfectly blue eyes. He has a kind looking face, with soft features that look like they belong to an angel. He's wearing a white shirt, with black jeans and a black tie. Wow. Oh god Dan, you've been here three minutes, stop! He starts to walk over to me, and I feel my heart starting to race, and my palms sweating. Calm, calm down, its fine. I hate meeting new people. 

Everyone else has just started on an essay about Shakespeare, so Mr Lester walks over to me to explain the classwork I need to catch up on. He leans down behind me to place a textbook on the desk, and starts whispering in my ear.

"Hi Dan, I'm Mr Lester, but as long as none of the other teachers hear I don't mind my students calling me Phil" Phil. Phil. Phil. The name races through my head.

"So we've been working on Shakespeare" Jesus I can't focus. His eyes.....they're so blue. They remind me of the sea back in Cornwall where we used to go for family holidays, before Dad got too busy with his accountancy

"....so if you could get started on that, that would be great" he gave me a cute smile and wandered back to the teacher's desk. He looks so out of place there. Crap, what did he say to do? Dan! This English exam is important! I should have paid attention. But his smile... I give myself a small smirk at how ridiculous this is. He could never like me back. He's a teacher, I'm a student. He could get arrested. Anyways I bet he's got a beautiful girlfriend somewhere, he'd never go for his 17 year old depressed moody male english student. Its not even a possibility.

Then the bell goes. Did I really just spend my entire english lesson daydreaming about my new teacher, and not do any work..?? Great start, I think to myself as I heave myself out of the uncomfy blue plastic classroom chair, and sling my backpack around my right shoulder. The boy next to me, wearing a blue hoodie and baggy jeans gives me a small smile as he walks out of the classroom, he was cute. But all my eyes are still on Phil Lester, sat at the front of the small, run down classroom, smirking at his laptop and dismissively waving at students as they pass him to leave.

Phil beckons for me to come over to his desk. I start shaking, but of course I oblige. 

"How was your first lesson Dan?" I don't know how to reply. "Did you get your essay plan done? May I see?" So that was what he asked me to do. I can't hand him my book, the first page is full of heart doodles. He stares at me expectedly.

I hand him my book. "Look Sir....I uhh..." I stutter trying to explain the hearts, expecting him to be angry. Instead he just laughs.

"Maybe some writing next time, Daniel?" He says with a teasing grin. "And you can call me Phil, all my students do its fine"

I anxiously tug my sleeves up, its a habit, before realising what I'm doing and jerk my arm back down again. Too late. I grab my book from in Phil's hand and shove it in my backpack, turning to walk hurriedly out of the door. Damn, Phil follows me, grabbing my shoulder and turning me round to face him.

I tug at my sleeves almost violently, stretching the sleeves of my Muse jumper down over my hands and fingertips in turn. But he's already seen. Phil gently places his hand on my shoulder, and takes my jumper sleeves between his fingertips. I look down in shame, my face turning red, wishing I could disappear. But its too later, he's already seen. The first teacher I have, and he's already going to judge me as one of those students on the safeguarding list with a 'concern for wellbeing'. He teases the jumper sleeve up over my wrist, and stares, horrified.

"Dan...why?"