Chapter Seventeen

Start from the beginning

Corinne rushed into the lobby, up the stairs and to her room before anyone noticed her presence. Opening her door, the room appeared dark; as if Ryne hadn’t been there yet. Her heart plummeted. She imagined he was fit to be tied. Risking her reputation and lady-like behavior, she rushed from the empty space, back down the grand curved staircase, and into the hotel’s saloon. Breathlessly, she let her eyes wander back and forth. Other eyes were on her, but at the moment, she could not entertain the thought of propriety.

“There.” She whispered in attempt to regain her composure. She’d spotted her beloved and his posse, for lack of a better word, having a drink and quite literally putting their heads together. They were searching for a way to rescue her. They were so intent on their conversation that they hadn’t noticed her entrance.

“Madame. Is there something I can do for you?”

“No, thank you. My husband is there,” she pointed to the huddled mass of males in one corner, “and I shall be joining them.”

“Yes, Ma’am. Only, this is a gentlemen’s saloon. NO ladies allowed.”

“Now, see here. I aim to get to him, and you can wait for me by the door. I assure you he is most concerned about my welfare at the moment.” She huffed before walking to the back table where the men shared space.

*****

Ryne more felt her presence than saw her, but she was there. His heart hammered as his mind took ease at the fact that she was definitely safe.

“Dear, where have you been?”

“Ryne, there is much to tell. First off…” The other three men stood up, Buddy jumping up to see if she had any news, taking Corinne by surprise. “Firstly, I have information on who is behind Sally’s disappearance. Does the name Dexter mean anything?”

“No.” The men echoed simultaneously.

“He knew me; knew my last name. And aimed a gun at Mrs. Mulholland, saying he was there to take Sally back to Boulder.”

“What else can you tell us?” The Erie Sheriff asked.

“I have been to the house, and Sally is indeed there.”

“How was she, Corinne?” Buddy begged information.

“Well, so it seemed. I’m not sure how, but Mrs. Mulholland ran him off. I have a feeling we’ll hear from him again. Sally passed out when she saw him. She called him Uncle Dexter.” She said with a shrug of her shoulders.

Buddy started walking around; the proverbial wheel turning in his head. After a few moments of awkward silence, he stopped and looked right at the rest of the company. “I think I know who this guy is. She’s mentioned him before. He was the one who left her when she was a girl. He’s responsible for her becoming a saloon girl. Oh my! This is not good. We have to get her out of there before he can get her in his clutches or, not to sound theatrical, all will be lost.” 

*****

Dexter seethed in his room. How could Edna betray him that way? The guards were his idea. The whole bloody plan was his idea. Seeing Sally’s beautiful friend was a plus, but he wasn’t sure how the woman worked into the mix, or why she was in Denver. He’d seen her in Colorado Springs.

Dexter wasn’t sure who was on his side. Davenport was a close second, but he was only interested in what he could get: Namely Sally. He was in for a fight. Everyone wanted the beautiful blonde who only seemed more attractive with a protruding abdomen. 

He needed to locate Davenport. They'd have a plan in place before dawn, and Sally would be where she belonged: Back at Bill's. Laughing at the ideas floating in his head, he went to the saloon Davenport frequented while in Denver. They would have Sally tomorrow, and probably Edna and the luscious Mrs. Wilkinson too, leaving for Boulder on the next train smoking.