Chapter Seventeen

Start from the beginning

"You've really had an experience, haven't you?" Edna motioned for more tea. 

"Yes, but it all turned out so well. Not only for my husband and I," she paused, placing a hand on her abdomen, "but for Sally as well. She's come a long way from being a saloon girl. She's a Christian woman now. She has a man who knows everything about her past, and refuses to see anything but her good, and is so in love with her that he wants to marry her despite her family state, and raise the child as theirs.  Now do you see why this is so - underhanded - of your husband? He's literally taking her away from the one person that is good for her. Edna, I implore you..." 

Edna cut her off. "I have nothing to do with Bill's business. Sure, I know about it, and it's ugly, but, Corinne, I can't sway my husband once his mind is set."

"Then, could I be so bold as to ask you to just let her go back with me? Tell your husband she left. I'm sure we could come up with a plan of sorts and a story, so that you are not at fault where your husband is concerned.”

“I need time to mull this over. Are you requiring an escort back to your hotel? I can have Arnold take you back.” Edna offered flippantly.

“Normally at this hour, I’d say no, but I’m most assured my husband is beside himself with worry. I am also quite certain he will not be so willing to allow me to visit with you again. Is there someplace we can meet tomorrow?” Corinne asked, gathering her wrap and now useless parasol.

“Yes. I will send word with Arnold first thing in the morning. You must follow my instructions explicitly. Otherwise, someone may be harmed, or killed.” Edna’s face told of the concern she felt.

“I want my friend to be happy, Edna. I want her to be free to live her life with a man who loves her and would move heaven and earth to keep her content.”

“Yes, I can see you care for her very much. I will do what I can. Arnold?”

“Yes, Ma’am.” He responded a little too eagerly.

“Escort Mrs. Wilkinson back to her lodging. And quickly.”

“Of course, Ma’am. Right this way, Mrs. Wilkinson.”

“Thank you, Mrs. Mulholland. I’m so grateful.”

“Don’t thank me yet, Mrs. Wilkinson. I can only offer my best effort.” Edna said glumly.

 “That’s all I can ask. Good evening.” 

*****

Corinne didn’t waste time strolling about Denver after dark, but made haste to return to Ryne. She prayed he wouldn’t be too upset, but she knew better. Hopefully, she’d be able to calm him enough to tell him everything. Arnold walked along with her, silent; almost brooding as they passed the saloon similar to the one Sally had lived in. She didn’t want to interfere in the young butler’s life, but her compassion surpassed her need to stay out of it.

“Why so forlorn, young man?” Corinne asked politely.

Not realizing the lady was speaking to him, Arnold stammered out a response. “Oh, n-n-no reason, Ma’am.” 

“I’m sure there’s a reason, young man.” She patted his hand as they approached the hotel.

“Thank you, Ma’am, for asking, but it really is no one’s concern but my own. Would you want me to accompany you to your room?”

“No, thank you. That won’t be necessary. Thank you for your attendance. Run swiftly back to Mrs. Mulholland. Stop for no man. Good evening.” He nodded, accepting the small tip she offered, and then obeyed her command.