Hospital Sweetheart

Start from the beginning

I quickly got up searching for my phone dumping my purse out and checking the living room and kitchen but there was no sign of my phone at all. My hand slapped against my forehead, it must've never got put back in my bag after everything got sprawled out across the hallway floor.

Quickly I took my shower and put an outfit on and rushed out so I could get to the hospital to see if anyone had retrieved my phone.
-----

I walked to the reception desk "Excuse me I need a visitor's pass and has there been anything reported to the lost and found?" I asked Michelle who was the front desk manager.

She shook her head "Nope not since last week." She tore off a visitor's pass handing it to me.

A huff left my mouth and I walked off with heavy steps angry because now I'm going to have to buy a whole new phone. As I made it to my mother's hospital room I grabbed for my heart because when I walked in Khalif, the boy from yesterday, was sitting down a little ways from the bed.

"Oh um sorry to intrude but I wanted to personally return your phone to you."

A creeped out face had managed to be plastered on my face as I grabbed my phone from him "How'd you know I was going to be here today?"

"I asked the front desk management how often you came here and they told me everyday around the same time."

I nodded my head at him, "Im sorry I can leave now if you'd like."

"No, no stay um I'll be here for a while and I'd like some company. It's hard being in this room in complete silence."

-----

A month had passed and I had grown very comfortable with Khalif. He was a very sweet and goofy boy just as I had predicted before hand.

We had been getting to know each other and I told him about my situation and he had told me about his. His best friend's mother had been in and out of the hospital and he was up there to support him in his time of need.

In the middle of my thoughts my phone rang.
"Hello Special?" This was my mother's doctor.

"Yes Dr. Vanderwall it is me." I spoke.

There was a sliver of silence and a breath of air let out "I'm sorry to inform you but 1:06 p.m your mother passed away-"

Before I could listen to another word I fell to my knees dropping my phone in the process. Tears welled in my eyes and the world became fuzzy before me.

Small wails of distress left my mouth, I was dumbfounded. I wasn't ready for her to leave. My phone once again started ringing and I looked over to see Dr. Vanderwall's name pop up on the screen so I answered.

"You need to come up here and say your last goodbyes before we send her down....down to the morge."

I took in a sharp breath. "Okay I understand."

By the time I had said my goodbyes to my mother I had cried every tear and pleaded every case I could think of for God to bring her back.

But she was gone and I knew that. I ran out of the room, leaving my deceased mother behind. My vision was blurry and my breath was hitched, I swear I heard someone calling my name but I ignored it.

Instead I ran out into the pouring ran, and sat down on a bench out in front of the hospital. My hands covered my face as I let out ugly cries of distress.

I felt someone's hand on my shoulder so I looked back to see a blurry Khalif. He sat down next to me not even having to say a word I just cried into his shoulder.

"She's gone!! Oh my God Why!"

I was huffing and breathing hard, my eyes now dry but my face still wet. We were sitting in the pouring rain completely soaked.

Khalif held me tight in his arms, the boy barely knew me but was comforting me as if he knew me all his life. "It's okay Im here for you."

I looked up at him rain running down his face, his dreads dripping wet, I stood up and pulled him into the lobby of the hospital. "You didn't have to do that." I spoke.

Khalif shook his head yes "I did, because I care about you. I wouldn't want you to be alone in this situation.." He paused for a second.

"When my mother passed I had nobody, I mean I had my brother but he was so distraught that he pushed me away. So I was stuck with nobody."

My eyes lowered and I hugged him our clothes stuck to our bodies and dripping making puddles beneath us. I looked up at him and planted a small soft kiss on his lips but quickly jerked away. "I'm sorry-I-I didnt-"

He caught me off and placed his lips on mine again. Deepening the kiss slightly.

He pulled away from the kiss and hugged me tighter, making me feel safe and comfortable. And even though I felt empty inside I knew he could help me.

"Im here for you just know that, Okay?"