Rejected At First Sight

Start from the beginning

"Except for my family," I respond, walking back into the bathroom, "they won't be happy if they have to leave their only daughter in San Diego while they go to live on the border of Washington and Canada. In the middle of freaking nowhere."

"Exactly! You don't even know the name of the town you're moving to!" Kristin shouts. I sigh, agreeing with her in my head.

"It's Harbor something, or something Harbor. I'm not sure. Now quit distracting me, I need to focus solely on packing all my bathroom stuff." I say as I grab my Dove lotion in one hand. In my other hand, I grab my blue and purple toothbrush and my Crest minty fresh toothpaste. Under my arm is my black bathroom bag that was supposed to hold all my bathroom stuff. I doubt it could even hold half of all my bathroom stuff.

Walking into my room, I sit down next to Kristin. Looking at my pile of clothes, I notice it had shrunken and the pile in my suitcase had grown. "Make sure all of the clothes actually fit in the suitcase." I tell her as I open my bathroom bag and place the lotions, toothbrush and toothpaste in it.

"I'm helping you pack, don't push it." She retorts, but she starts to fold the pair of shorts in her hand. I push aside my bathroom bag and start to tackle the pile in the suitcase. I start at the top of the suitcase pile, pulling out a shirt that has the Hollister logo on it.

Silence slowly fell across the room as I place the now folded shirt on the floor next to the suitcase. I grab another shirt from the top of the pile, fold it, and place it on top of the shirt already on the floor. As I grab the next item of clothing, a pair of jean shorty shorts, I notice Kristin had stopped folding. I look up to see her teary, light blue eyes trained on me. Dropping the half folded shorts, I attack her with a hug.

Kristin starts crying harder, little whimpers coming from her mouth. "Shhh," I sooth, "it's okay."

"Who am I supposed to hang out with? Who is supposed to be my best friend? How am I supposed to go through Senior year without you?" She cries into my shoulder, her hands hugging my back like I was the last safe place on Earth. Tears start pooling in my eyes and spilling down my cheeks. This was the first time we accepted the fact of me moving hundreds of miles away without making a joke of it.

"I know." I say softly.

"How am I supposed to just let you go? It's like the ten years I've known you mean nothing! Friends forever and ever, remember, always sticking together?" Kristin voice quiets as she recalls our pinky promise when we six.

Tears start falling harder as I hugged her harder. "Just because I'm moving doesn't mean we're not friends anymore. And the sticky stuff that keeps us together will just have stretch farther."

"What are you, some kind of shrink?" Kristin asks mockingly as she pulls away and wipes her wet face with the palm of her hand.

"I'm sorry," she continues, "it's just never hit me that hard."

"It's okay, it never hit me that hard either." I assure as I sit back and pick up the forgotten half folded pair of shorts.

I fold the shorts and place them next to the shirt on the floor. I look up to see Kristin start folding the rest of the clothes on the floor in my closet. Silence falls again, but this time it was comfortable. I think we both wanted to enjoy each others presence. Grabbing another pair of shorts, I fall into a rhythm of grabbing an item of clothing, folding it quickly, and placing it in its respectable pile on the floor.

I was so absorbed in my folding that I didn't notice when my pile of unfolded clothes disappeared and folded ones appeared in my suitcase. Kristin had started to place her folded pile of clothes in my suitcase. Pants, next to jackets, next to long sleeve winter shirts. On top of those, Kristin laid her small pile of summer shorts and shirts. I picked up my pile of shorts and put it on top of the pile in the suitcase. I did the same thing with the shirts. Last but not least, I looked over to my pile of undies and bras, scooped up a pile of them in my arms, and scattered them on top and around everything in my suitcase. Kristin copied my actions scooping up the rest of the bras and undies and sprinkling them in the suitcase.

"Alright, I gotta go get the rest of my bathroom stuff." I stand up and walk back to the bathroom. Walking in, I remembered that I forgot my bathroom bag in my room. I turn around, only to bump into Kristin, who is holding my bathroom bag.

"Forget something?" Kristin asks holding up my bathroom bag. I smile a thanks.

Turning toward the cupboard under the sink, I kneel down and take out all my makeup, perfumes, and body washes from underneath. My makeup consisted of a small bottle of foundation, a black eyeliner, and mascara, which went into my bathroom bag first. Next, I put my bottle of fruity smelling perfume and my bottle of vanilla smelling perfume in the bag. Lastly, before it closed, I put in my vanilla scented body wash.

"Is this all you have for bathroom stuff? Where's the rest of your makeup?" Kristin asks me as she scours through the now empty cabinet.

"That's it. You know I don't like to put a mask on my face." I answer, zipping up my bathroom bag.

"Yeah well, I mean I know that. But I assumed you had a little more to play with. And didn't I give you a bunch of my stuff too?" She responds, following me out of the bathroom and back into my room.

"Well, lets say they are now in a wonderful new world." I say, dropping my butt on the floor, placing my bathroom bag in my suitcase and zipping it up.

"Finally finished." I sigh. It felt good after the past week of packing everything in the house, saving the bedrooms and bathrooms for last. My house no longer had a living room, kitchen, or dining room. They were just rooms with walls and carpets now. Later today, the last of the furniture, being my bed, desk, nightstand, and dresser, and my parent's bed, nightstand and two dressers, were being packed away and shipped to the new house.

"Wonderful new world my ass," Kristin mutters, "so tomorrow's the day?"

I sigh again, a frown forming on my face, "Yeah, tomorrow's the day." Suddenly, my bed starts vibrating. I look to find my phone and saw it on the nightstand. "Not mine."

"Yeah, I know, it's mine. I just can't find it on your bed. Help me?" Kristin hops on my bed and scrambles around, trying to find her cell phone. I stand up from the floor and hop on my bed, sitting on the end of it.

"Hey! Get up, get up. I need to check everywhere." Kristin shoos me off the bed and removes the covers from right where I was sitting. Sitting right there was her phone buzzing like a bee. Kristin turns around and sticks her tongue out at me. I shrug back at her.

She presses the talk button after looking at the screen, "Hello," Kristin says in the speaker, "yes I'm still here." I knew it was her mom on the phone after that sentence.

"But she's moving," Kristin says after a pause, "I don't even know them!" She continues to argue with her mom while I sit back down on my bed.

"No you don't seem to understand! My best friend of ten years is moving to who knows where and you're saying that I have to go to some stupid party!" She shouts into the phone.

I chuckle to myself, knowing that Kristin is in a war she won't win. Her mom is too tough and demanding, not to mention stubborn, to give in. My predictions are correct when a couple seconds later Kristin slams her phone shut and growls in frustration.

"I guess I'll see you tomorrow." I say quietly, looking down at my lap. Though I knew Kristin wouldn't win that argument, I couldn't say I was happy with the outcome.

Kristin turns to me, "I'm so sorry Evie. I don't know what's wrong with her."

"It's okay." I sigh, still looking at my lap. She attacks me with a hug, which I return wholeheartedly.

"I promise, promise, promise to be here before you leave tomorrow. I wouldn't miss it for the whole world plus the universe." Kristin says.

"You better, or I'm going to hunt you down." I respond with a sad smile.