Chapter 1

The dark sky flashed a lighting, rain pouring down from it. My parents drove me here to my Grandpa's house. Surrounded by trees, it felt as if we were in the middle of nowhere, haunted by the unknown that dwells in those trees. I let my imagination run wild. I began observing the exterior while inside the car and listened to the sound of the droplets of the rain on the window. I felt the chill of the cold weather soothing my heart and making me more relaxed.

Grandpa let me stay in his place for a while, since it's getting lonely at home and I need a break from my studies. As a homeschooled teenager, I can choose my own vacation, although the pressure coming from making my parents proud skyrockets. A nice scenery such as this can help ease myself.

My parents really didn't have any time for me so they thought of bringing me here. I could also get to know my Grandfather whom I haven't seen for a very long time. I'm not really mad about this, besides it's getting boring and lonely at home. To be honest, I don't think I'll be missing my parents when I'm away since we're not that close.

The pool in front of my Grandpa's massive house stretched halfway towards the gate, and on each side was a garden with varieties of flowers, plants and ornaments with darker shades that adds to the gothic, medieval ambiance. We had to go around the pool to get to the front door. Beyond the gates, trees surrounded us, letting the outsiders get a bit of a glimpse. I admired the house while I'm in the car. I saw two girls behind Grandpa wearing a maid attire that I rarely see nowadays.

My parents started talking to him, and he got this annoyed look on his face that made me reluctant in staying here.

Mom and dad started helping me with my luggage, then we all went inside. A look of adoration paints my parents expressions; the same as mine. I let my eyes wander around and lands on I a big chandelier up ahead. Staring ahead, I saw stairs leading up to the second floor, and I could see some parts of it, like that huge double door. The banisters obscured more of the sight, inviting me to explore more of the second floor. The first one's wide and really clean, a dark red carpet was laid leading to the second floor from the main entrance. A scent of oranges wafted in the air, giving the house more life despite the interior's dark appearance. It made me wonder if Grandpa ever gets scared on a cold, rainy night to which I might be able to experience if the downpour perdures. The thought made me shudder. I should have asked if ever Grandpa had an experience with ghost, which completely won't make any differences in my life whatsoever, so I guess it is pointless.

"Do you think you'll have a great time here?" My mother whispered to me, an expectant smile for a positive answer plastered on her face.

"Maybe." I didn't want to disappoint after all the traveling we did. Least I can do is to return the enthusiasm, even if it's a small amount of it.

My father approaches us. "We'll be going now. Take care and have fun, alright?"

"Yes, Dad."

"I bet she'll have lots of fun in here. I wish we could also stay," I didn't know what to say. Not like we'll not see each other again, so no need for teary-eyed goodbyes. My mother clapped her hands. "Well, I guess we better go. We still have some things left to do. Enjoy your stay, okay? We'll miss you." I kinda doubt that they'll miss me. We don't even get along well nor have any proper conversations.

I watch them as they drove their car away from this place.

"This is my helper,  Sasha" said my Grandfather, holding out his hands towards a raven haired girl with a somber look on her face, her strong jaw visibly clenching. She doesn't look too happy. He turned to me with a straight face, "She will take you to your room. I'm sorry I won't be able to accompany you now, but I'll try my best to spend my time with you in some days. I need to get back to my office and have something done. I'll talk to you later." With that he walked away. It feels as if I'm just back at home, but a bigger one with lots of things to do.