"But... does that mean he can actually do this?" he said.

"Well, unless I can find something in the constitution or the legal codes or government procedure that specifically forbids him from doing it...," said the prime minister. "...Yes. I'm afraid it might."

Alex's heart got even colder. It had to be approaching absolute zero by now. For most of his life, one of the things Alex had thought he could be certain of was that his mother was going to be queen one day. He had never even tried to imagine what it would be like if she would not be. The future suddenly seemed a lot less certain, and stable, than it had when he had woken up this morning.

"Well, you'd better find something then," said Ellen. "And quickly."

"I'm trying, your highness," said the prime minister, holding up the latest book. "But the other problem is that King Stephen wrote the constitution and most of the star cluster's laws. His words and works have legal authority. Even if I can find something, it's going to be very difficult to argue that it should take precedence over the chess game."

"Well then, we'll just have to thwart him on the chessboard," said the royal steward. "Find some way to escape from this clever trick of his."

He held up the book of chess problems and compared one of its pictures to the chessboard on Jessamine's computer screen and then shook his head.

"Though I have to admit... that might be difficult."

"It will be," said Jessamine, who was still studying the chessboard. "I certainly can't see a way out of this at the moment. Lord Blackstar really has outdone himself this time."

Alex's heart sank. His mother had always been – and probably always would be – a much better chess player than he was. If she was stuck on what he to admit was one of the best checks he had ever seen, there might not be a way out of it. He looked at Alice, who was also better than he was, hoping she might have come up with something, but she was frowning at the board too.

"That's what I can't understand," said the royal steward, shaking his head. "The Blackstar family have traditionally been one of the Tarquin dynasty's strongest supporters in the Pleiades. They've lived in the star cluster – and on Magenta – almost as long as the royal family has. And while Lord Damon has always been arrogant, conceited and borderline insufferable, he's always seemed to be more loyal than most. We all remember how close his father was to King Geoffrey. I can't imagine why he's suddenly turned on us like this."

"I've been wondering the same thing," said Jessamine. "But I doubt he's going to tell us if we ask."

"All right. There's only one solution then," said Ellen. "One thing that's sure to work. Alex, you have to challenge him to a duel and kill him."

"What?" said Alex, looking at her.

"What?" said Captain Zachary.

"Oh, come on. You're always fencing," said Ellen. "And you're the crown prince now remember? Be a man. Prince up."

"Your highness, you can't," said Captain Zachary, stepping forward. "I'm responsible for your safety. I cannot allow to start fighting duels. Especially not with Lord Blackstar. He's not just a chess grandmaster. He's an intergalactic fencing champion. I'll have to do it. Your mother can appoint me as the royal family's defender..."

"Don't be ridiculous. You can't do it," said Ellen. "Lord Blackstar beat you in the last three fencing tournaments."

"No one is challenging Lord Blackstar," said Jessamine.

"Quite," said the prime minister. "I know how you feel, Princess Ellen, but what would we challenge him for? He hasn't technically done anything illegal or dishonourable. He's entitled to make any move he wishes in the chess game."