Chapter Thirty-three

Start from the beginning

The sticky feel on my cheeks has me ceasing from any movement. They’re wet but, I’m certain, not with tears. They’re soaked in something thicker than salty water. Its dried form sticks to my skin in a way that I have to use my fingernails to pry it off. Holding my breath, I slowly slide my hands down and hold them in front of my eyes.

Oh, my God.

I vigorously wipe my face and cause the smears of blood to spread even further on my cheeks and palms. I may have only made myself look terrifying when I detect everyone becoming more eager to take flight.

Am I the reason for their fear? Why? The person that they should be scared of is the one who’s ruined---

I freeze and little by little sink on my knees when my mind dwells on the thought that I should damn stop treating myself as some powerless victim.

No… oh, no… I couldn’t possibly… How could I even..?

“Mika…”

I lift up my vacant gaze to a man who’s staring at me helplessly and at the destruction surrounding us. I also catch an old woman and a group of men standing behind him.

“Mika… I’m sorry…” The deep remorse on his handsome face has the capacity to break my heart.

If I only know him.

“Come home… please…”

“Who… who are you?”

I notice that I’ve completely surprised him when he takes a quick step back and gapes at me in disbelief. “You don’t recognize me?”

I force my mind to but stop when I realize that I won’t remember him no matter what I do since I have no memories to scan. I shake my head and look at him desperately. “But you do know me? Right?”

His jaw drops even further and I know he’s going into shock.

“I-i don’t remember anything. Please tell me, kind sir. Do you know me? Who am I?”

I watch as he swallows hard and regards me carefully. “You’re my wife.”

Now, it’s my turn to gape. “I am?”

“Yes. Look at me. Don’t you know who I am?”

I examine him thoroughly. He’s tall and well-built. His disheveled, black hair reaches his nape. I inspect every little detail of his face. His features may be soft but I’m certain that one downward turn of his mouth is enough to put anyone to attention. His presence is both commanding and giving. Strong and gentle. Fierce, but just. I find his eyes and look into the most golden orbs. They can make a person either relax with their warmth or nervous with their blaze. I fix my gaze on them and the overflowing affection that he doesn’t bother to hide immediately brings me to tears.

“Don’t you really recognize me?”

“Sunflowers.” I whisper as the first few drops of tears find their way down on my cheeks.

___

“Lady…”

I turn around and see three, big and golden sunflowers below a pair of innocent blue-green eyes. I smile and bend on my knees to take a good look at a little girl who’s dressed in a long chemise. Her brown hair keeps on covering her angelic face so I brush them off her, causing her rosy cheeks to redden even more. “Yes?”

“This… This for you.” She shoves the flowers towards me and beams shyly. “From Sari.”

“Why, thank you. I didn’t know sunflowers grew around here.”