Chapter Thirty-Two

Start from the beginning

I say that they were men, but both seemed to still be around the same age as us which made it seem even worse that we would have to fight them. But, they didn't give us a choice in the matter.

The smaller, stockier one tried to grab at me and I knew instantly that I should use his disadvantages against him whilst Rose fought with the lankier man. It was in that moment that I was extremely appreciative of Josh and the time he'd spent with us both, as if he'd known all along that it would come down to this.

I had to focus, ducking out of the way as he began swinging his fists, trying to catch my cheek to cause some form of damage. Luckily, I managed to avoid his blow and sidestepped him, immediately bringing my gun down towards him with the intent of at least hitting him with it. Unfortunately, he had obviously been training for a while with the rebels and managed to catch my gun in one hand, twisting it out of my grip easily.

Without my only weapon I was pretty much defenceless, but the threat to my friends was enough motivation to keep me fighting. I curled my fingers into fists, determined to best my new opponent.

His build made him seem slower, which was the fact that I latched onto in that moment. I began to circle him slowly, noting the sweat beading at his brow, but still the purpose in his eyes. With my fists clenched, I dodged past him, managing to kick out in the same movement and catch his leg. He stumbled, letting out a grunt of surprise at my speed which I took sick satisfaction in hearing.

Without wasting a moment of time, I swung out with my fist and caught him in the centre of his back. Although it was obvious that I lacked his strength, the punch still seemed to do some damage and he hunched over. The element of surprise was most definitely working on my side as I managed to scoop up my gun from the cold floor and bring it down on his head, knocking him out almost instantly.

I stood staring at his limp form where it lay, feeling the adrenaline continue to course through my veins as my brain didn't quite register what I'd done.

''Violet!'' Rose's scream ripped my eyes from the rebel, only to land on her as she struggled in the grip of the other man.

He had her by her hair, bending her head back as she grasped frantically at his hands, trying to loosen his grip. Without thought, I rushed over and pushed with all my might at the man, his hands losing their hold for a second which was long enough for Rose to break free. She then turned on him, elbowing him in the face which caused a stream of blood to gush from his nose.

That was when Josh jumped in, having left his two pursuers groaning in pain on the floor. He grabbed the man, picking him up so that his feet left the stone surface, and launched him across the room. The man's body flew a few feet before hitting one of the solid walls with a sickening crunch and collapsing to the ground.

''Are you girls hurt?'' Josh asked breathlessly, clutching at his side where a steady stream of crimson fluid was leaking out from beneath a tear in his suit.

Rose shook her head, although she was gasping for breath and I could already see her eye swelling where the man must have landed a hit. Amazingly, I came out pretty unscathed, although I couldn't say that I wasn't mentally scarred.

My eyes quickly searched for Aiden of their own accord. He was in the centre of the room, still managing to keep Lana down and also having managed to knock the two other rebels unconscious on different sides of him. I could see his lips moving, but couldn't quite catch what he said as he voice was low, probably deadly.

Then he struck, the terrible sight of his fangs entering her flesh making me gag despite my willingness earlier. Lana responded instantly, hopelessly trying to get away before her movements slowed and then came to one final and complete stillness.

As I watched, one of the rebels close by twitched. That one movement alerted me, but I wasn't sure why until I noticed his finger on the trigger.

I acted on instinct, not entirely registering what I had done until it was over.

The sound of the shot echoed against the walls, causing the noise to be close to deafening in the space around us. Tears sprang to my eyes, my legs beginning to shake as the sight before me became abundantly clear.

I dropped my gun; the silence that had previously descended was broken as it clattered across the hard surface. Letting out a gasping sob, I clutched around my midsection as if to keep myself held together. My legs gave out shortly after, causing me to fall towards the floor.

Before I hit the rough ground, two strong arms were providing me with the support I so desperately needed, ''Violet, we've got to leave.'' His voice was soft, but still managed to convey an element of urgency.

A sound akin to the bending and screeching of metal exploded around us, before the door to the exit itself fell inwards, revealing the short silhouette of a girl. Her petite form came into the artificial light, revealing the concerned features of none other than Aiden's sister, Millie.

Her eyes raked over me, the worry clear in her eyes as she spoke, ''This place is rigged to blow; you guys need to get out of here!'' She exclaimed, causing the flurry of motion as I was dragged, paralysed out into the cold, frigid air of the woods.

The shock of the entire situation had me completely lost in my emotions. Blood was rushing in my ears, drowning out the sounds around me as if I were deep under water, losing myself in the dark expanse of space. The arrival of Millie had done little to calm me; I couldn't even focus enough to understand that she should be in the mansion, far away from the rebel camp.

Not even the sound of the explosion registered.

Or the subtle shake of the earth around us at the impact.

Next thing I knew, Aiden's face came into sharp clarity as he gently shook my shoulders, my body swaying with his motions, ''Violet, please listen to me.'' When I made no move to respond he continued, ''You didn't kill him, he was only injured. Please understand that.''

The memory of my finger pulling the trigger, the sound of the air slicing around the bullet, and finally the impact to the man's body as the blunt piece of metal burrowed into his flesh replayed in my mind. The pure agony in those eyes would haunt me for years, and all because of my own actions.

''What's wrong with her?'' Millie's shrill, yet familiar voice interrupted my thoughts.

''Don't, Millie. Please.'' Aiden sounded annoyed, yet his soft gaze still rested on my face, ''Leave us.''

''Fine, but hurry. We've got to get out of here soon.'' She left us after that.

''Violet, focus.'' Aiden was becoming impatient, such a frequent emotion with him. I had to admit though, that his mere presence was beginning to calm me and I could feel my heartbeat begin to slow, my breaths only occasionally accompanied by sobs.

It was funny, I hadn't even realised that I'd started crying.

That was when Aiden took me into his arms, supporting most of my weight in the embrace. Automatically, I responded by wrapping my own arms around his toned mid-section, grateful for the calmness that he provided with his touch. I didn't have the energy to resist my feelings anymore; there was no use in denying them when it was obvious how much he meant to me.

After all, it was the threat to his life that had caused my reaction in the first instance.

''Thank you,'' I gasped between sobs, knowing that my tears were flowing freely down my cheeks, ''It's just a shock, you know? Everything happened so fast, from everything with my father, to Lana and then that gun.''

''I get it. Don't worry about it, for now you need to be strong, okay?'' He pulled away, using his thumbs to brush away the stray tears along my chin.

I nodded, sniffing and pulling away from his arms as much as my emotions protested. He was right; we were on the brink of all-out war and now was not the time to show any weakness.

Now was the time to fight.

-*-*-*-

A/N Hey guys, thanks for reading! I really hope you liked this one, it took me a while to write it so it's much appreciated if you leave a vote and comment any feedback. :)

Royal Pain ~ Slave to the High RoyalsOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara