[2] The Boy Behind The Mask

Dick's POV

I opened my eyes but quickly closed them when I was met with a blinding light, ow! THE LIGHT! THE LIIGGGHHHTT! I hissed and rolled out of bed.

I rubbed my eyes and quickly changed into my only clothes, which was jeans and a red T-shirt. I looked at the clock and my eyes widened, 9:43!

I'm late! Breakfast ended! I scurried downstairs and to the dining room to see miss Nelly. "You're late again, Richard." Miss Nelly said, "It's Dick." I corrected, Miss Nelly sighed.

I started walking to the door, "Going out again I presume?" Miss Nelly said, I nodded. "Just going to the market," I said. Miss Nelly gave me a knowing look, "I'll be careful." I assured, walking out the door smirking.

I walked through the giant crowd of people, towards the apple stand. I quickly snatched an apple without anyone seeing and walked away, biting into the red goodness.

"What did I tell you, Master Richard." I turned around and saw Alfred, "Sorry, Alfred. I missed breakfast, and what did I tell you." I said. Alfred sighed, "I told you not to steal." He said.

I frowned and followed him to the limo, I plopped in near the window. "Where to this time, Alfie?" I asked, Alfred is a friend of mine.

We met when I accidentally bumped into him when I was running from someone, his stuff dropped and I helped him by leaning down and the guy ran past me.

Alfred wanted to repay me and then we became friends, only later I found out he works for Bruce Wayne. He found out I was Blue Jay, oops?

"Wayne Manor." I immediately turned to the window, "What? Why?" I asked, "Well, Master Bruce isn't home and I just made your favorite meal." Alfred said.

I grinned, "Alfred's favorite homemade spaghetti?" I asked, "Yes." Alfred said, "WOOHOO!" I exclaimed, bouncing around in my chair. Though I've never been to Wayne Manor I'm still excited.

When we arrived I immediately flung myself out the door and started running to the door, "Master Dick, slow down!" Alfred shouted, I slowed to a walk and pouted.

"Every time," I mumbled. I waited at the door, Alfred came up and unlocked it. I walked in with my mouth wide open, "Whoa." Was all I managed to say, Alfred chuckled.

"Follow me," Alfred say. I followed him into a large, fancy kitchen. I sat at the bar on a stool, (a kid friendly one of course) Alfred set a bowl of spaghetti in front of me, I grabbed the fork and dug in.

"Mm mwif ish show gwood," I said. "Manners, Master Dick." Alfred scolded, I gulped my food down. "Sorry, Alfred. This is good," I said. Alfred nodded, "It's alright."

Alfred looked at my clothes, "I got you some clothes, Master Dick." Alfred said, he handed me some jeans, shorts and shirts. I inspected them carefully.

"Aw, Alfred you didn't have to." I said, "Go change your clothes, Master Dick." Alfred said, I nodded and he led me to the bathroom.

I quickly changed and walked out, I had black jeans and a red flannel. I moved around a bit, I tried to move my knee back but failed. Ugh! I'm going to rip a hole where the knees are after I leave.

I walked to Alfred and gave him a smile, "Thanks, Alfred." I said, he nodded firmly then gave me a cookie. I grinned and bit into it, "Mm. Your cookies are the best!" I exclaimed.

"I am glad you like it, Master Dick." Alfred said, suddenly I heard a door slam. My immediate instinct was to go in a fighting stance, Alfred gave me a look saying, act-normal-or-he'll-know-who-you-are.

I nodded and stood up straight, I calmed my nerves. Suddenly Bruce Wayne walked in the room, BATMAN IS HERE?!?! And yeah I found out Bruce is Batman.

I also told Alfred and he seemed fine that I knew, "Hello, Master Bruce." Alfred greeted, Bruce looked directly at me and I cursed under my breath.

I'm completely noticeable, "And who is this, Alfred?" Bruce asked, "This is Master Dick." Alfred said. "Hi." I said.

I stood next to Alfred and gave Bruce a smile, he won't kill me right? Nah, he doesn't kill. Bruce was studying me carefully, I guess he was wondering if I was a threat or not.

"Well welcome," Bruce said. My jaw was probably hitting the floor, I quickly closed my mouth. Right, he's not Batman right now, he's Bruce Wayne, billionaire playboy.

"I'm Richard Grayson, but you can call me Dick." I said, ".....What an interesting nickname..." Bruce mumbled, I laughed. "Well I'm not going to steal my uncle's name which is Rick so..." I trailed off and frowned.

Uncle Rick was the best! He was the best uncle anyone could ask for....until he died...no, stay strong. It's okay, "Master Dick." I looked up and gave Alfred a smile.

Bruce smiled, you don't see THAT everyday. "So...you and Alfred know each other?" Bruce asked, "Yes, Master Dick is my friend." Alfred said.

"May I ask how you two met?" Bruce asked, "Well I was walking when he accidently bumped me so he helped me pick everything up so I offered to repay him and we just became friends I guess." Alfred said.

Why did he leave out the part where I stole something? And I wasn't being nice, I was trying to hide, whatever. I guess it's nothing, "Dick?" I snapped my head up confused.

"What?" I asked, "You zoned out again." Alfred said, "Oh uh...I was just thinking." I replied, "Is it about your parents?" Alfred asked, "I-It's nothing, don't worry." I said.

Bruce gave me a confused look, "You should probably go back home." Alfred said, "The orphanage really isn't my home." I stated.

"Orphanage?" Bruce asked, "Yeah, it's where kids go when they don't have a mom and/or dad." I explained, "I know that." Bruce said, "What...what happened to your parents. If you don't mind me asking," Bruce asked. I closed my eyes for a second to get rid of the memory.

I took deep breaths, "That's none of your concern." I growled in my assassin voice, AW CRAP! I USED MY ASSASSIN VOICE! "I-I'm sorry, I should go." I said, bolting out the door and forgetting my other clothes.

I quickly ripped the knees of my pants and flipped over the fence, much better, no more limits. I started running faster and faster, please don't let him chase me.

I quickly jumped through the window of my room and sighed, woo that was close. I sighed and walked downstairs to see everyone running around.

"What's going on!?!" I shouted, "The sidekicks are going to the Hall of Justice tomorrow!" Jason exclaimed, bouncing up and down. I smirked, why don't I entertain myself?

I ran into my room and cleaned my outfit.

Night time

I jumped out the window and ran towards the Bat Cave, I smirked when I saw Batman getting into the Batmobile. Just before he closed the hatch, I jumped in.

"Hiya, Batsy!" I exclaimed, Batman looked shocked. "How did you get in here!" He shouted, I rolled my eyes. "Like I didn't already know who you were," I said.

Batman kicked me out of the Batmobile, "Well that was rude." I remarked, "What are you doing here." Batman growled, "Well I was bored." I said.

Batman glared at me, "What! Let's go on patrol and do some Batman and Blue Jay stuff!" I exclaimed, "No." Batman said, "You're a bummer." I said.

"And I want you out of my cave," Batman growled. "And I want you out of my cave," I mimicked. Batman glared at me and I put my hands up in defense, "Alright, alright. See ya later," I said.

I walked away humming until I arrived at the orphanage, I frowned because I didn't have much fun but I went to bed anyways. 

(A/N Batman is such a bummer, ugh.)

And remember! Stay Whelmed!