A Child Changes Everything. [Second Time's A Charm]

Start from the beginning

“What’s goin’ on?” he asked, holding his wand limply. He blinked, focusing his eyes to see the four of you standing at the front door. He dropped his wand immediately. “Jesus, Kris. Give me a heart attack, why don’t you?!”

“What is it?” Kelly shoved out from behind him. If Draco thought that your squeal was bad, he wasn’t counting on Kelly’s. An ear-splitting cry of joy emitted from her tiny body and she ran to Hermione. 

“AUNTIE HERMIONE! UNCLE RON!” she yelled. Hermione picked her up and hugged her, Kelly giggling in her arms.

“I hope you’ve been keeping up on your reading, Kelly.” She said, putting on a strict demeanor. Kelly’s face fell. 

“No, Auntie Hermione. I haven’t. I haven’t got any books!” she pouted. Hermione set her down on the ground and reached into her bag, pulling out a very small red leather bound book and handing it to her. Kelly grimaced at the sight of it, much like she when you propositioned going to the library at Hogwarts. Hermione always tried to encourage Kelly to practice her reading, but most of the time the books she left went untouched on her bedroom floor.

“Thanks, Auntie Hermione.” She said politely, a forced smile on her face. Then she turned an expectant look at her Uncle Ron. She wasn’t disappointed. Ron pulled out a bag of Bertie Bott’s Every Flavor Beans from his coat pocket and she grabbed it. 

“Ron!” you said, shaking your head. Kelly was already running off to the bedroom to hide them from you.

“I’m sorry, Kris. She’s just so darn cute! I don’t know how you tell her no!”

Harry directed everyone to the kitchen, where breakfast sat waiting. It soon became apparent that Ron and Hermione didn’t know how to act around Draco. They were clearly torn, but seeing Harry acting fairly normal in the situation spurred them to try to do the same. They began discussing other possible safe house locations for you. Knowing that you had no family, they looked toward Draco. 

“So… Draco. Do you have any family nearby?” Ron asked. Hermione elbowed him in the stomach under the table. It was common knowledge that Lucius Malfoy died shortly after the war. “Oof! Bloody hell woman!” 

“No, I don’t have any family.” Draco said, his body language indicating he was extremely uncomfortable with the subject.

“Well, we will think of something before Bill and Fleur come back from vacation.” Hermione said warmly, trying to ease the tension. You wished that you could stay in the little cottage by the beach forever, but it was clear that it was only built for two people. The five of you eating breakfast in the tiny kitchen was horribly cramped. Suddenly, Draco stood up abruptly and excused himself. He looked distracted and out of sorts, walking out through the front door to the tiny porch. 

“I should…” you pointed. The three of them nodded and you got up. Kelly, oblivious to the change in the atmosphere, kept her focus on racing Ron to shovel the most food into their mouths at once. You pulled your sweater tighter as you stepped outside, the crisp morning air inflating your lungs and sending chills up your bare legs. Draco had walked down a ways to the sand and sat in a secluded area behind some very large rocks, cigarette lit in one hand. You came up next to him and sat.

“Hey…” you began. Because you really weren’t sure where to begin.

“I just don’t like talking about it.” He said. 

“Alright.” The two of you just sat, watching the waves of the ocean break. He handed you a cigarette but you held up your hand to it. He raised an eyebrow. 

“I’ve decided to quit.”

“Good for you.” He put it back in the pack and slipped it into his pocket. Then he started to jiggle his foot, obviously wrestling with something in his mind. You scooted closer to him, and he draped his arm around your shoulders, pulling you close to him.