18. A Reunion in the Park

Start from the beginning

He went to rummage through the pillows of the lounge for his wand; trying to remember the last place he’d put it.

Draco did not stop. He looked in the least likely places, under floorboards, the fridge, in cupboards. He didn’t stop once, not even when he heard Granger’s Apparition behind him some time later.

“Malfoy.”

He ignored her and did not turn around.

“I really advise you think this through. This is an Auror investigation. You can’t, you just can’t expect to find Nott on your own. And at this time of night!”

He strode past, shrugging her off when she tried to grab him, and went through her bookcases.

“This is suicide. I know he’s your friend, but going out in darkness potentially against five or so of them is not the way to go about this! Leave it to the Auror’s, Malfoy. You’re being ridiculous. Completely ridiculous, I can’t even – stop! You’re not going to find your wand there!”

Draco did turn around then, only to fix her with a hard look. “Where is it, Granger?”  

“I’m not telling you!” she said incredulously. “Not until you start acting rationally!”

“To hell with rationally!” he almost yelled. “My damn father’s gone, Granger! Gone! If I leave it to the bloody Auror’s they’ll never find him!”

Granger blanched. She had not been expecting that one. “I – I didn’t –” she stuttered, taken aback. “When did you find out?” she asked in a small voice.

“This afternoon. Give me my wand.”

“I am so sorry –”

“I don’t need your condolences, Granger!” he sneered, her pity somehow only making him angrier. “I need my wand! So hand it over or I swear… you do not want to piss me off right now.”

“You’re going to go back to the restaurant and search there for your father? Malfoy, what honestly makes you believe they’d still be there?”

“I’m not saying they’d be in the restaurant!” he said impatiently, running an agitated hand through his hair. “There’s a park outside it, across the road. All shops are closed at this hour so…” Draco stopped and caught himself in time. “Why am I even telling you this? Bloody hell, just let me leave!”

“What are you expecting to find there?”

Again, he answered her. “I don’t know, my mother said he was last seen out in London, very close to Padfree’s. And if you were listening back there with that E.T. look-alike elf, I’m sure you realise that’s also where Theo was last seen. Not to mention the park is notorious for suspicious activity. Now, wand?”

Granger hesitated. She looked highly doubtful and was clearly questioning his sanity. Twice her fingers twitched towards her pocket, where Draco was sure she’d stuffed his wand when he wasn’t looking, and on the third time she pulled it out. He closed the space between them and made to reach eagerly for it, but she put it behind her back.

“Granger –”

“I’m going with you.”   

Draco blinked. “What? Don’t be silly.”

“I’m serious,” she said levelly. “I’m coming with you or you don’t go at all.”

“Why in the name of Salazar would you want to visit a creepy park with me in the middle of the goddamn night? Are you out of your mind?”

“Possibly.” And she did not look the least bit fazed about that. “But you’ve been there for me. Each time with Ron you were always there and I know how much you wanted to leave, but you never did. And I don’t think I’ve told you how much I appreciated that.”