Chapter 28 - The Final Death

Start from the beginning

The vision shifted, to her playing with Sion.

"You're the best," he said. "You'll always be the besteste friend in the world."

Vision shift.

She saw Sion as an adolescent. He'd cancelled their regular night of human watching, to be with her--the precious daughter of Retro.

Vision shift.

"I don't understand what your problem is, Envy. I am happy with Unique," Sion yelled.

Envy forced herself out of the memories and pushed Unique. "Get away from me!"

"No. You need to see this," Unique shouted and ran to wrap her arms around her.

Everything inside Envy was overheating. She couldn't handle all the envy. God, Unique was trying to kill her. The realization fueled her anger and she forced herself to remember every single thing that Sion had done wrong to Unique. Envy would show her that her precious little life wasn't so perfect.

"Stop fighting it, Envy," Unique screamed. "I'm trying to help."

"I don't want your help," she said and blocked Unique out. "I don't need your pity. I just need you to go away!"

They wrestled on the ground and rolled over into Sage's flowers. Envy could feel Unique penetrate her block, and in panic, she focused on the essence of her power. She opened up the box in the back of her mind and let envy fill Unique while she clawed at Unique's face and body.

Both screamed, and a blinding light, followed by a searing pain enveloped her. When she opened her eyes again, Unique was lying still at her feet.

Unique pulled back. Envy's essence was fueled by the memories of her being envious. She opened her eyes and looked around. For this to work, Unique would have to force Envy to recall her joys. She couldn't go anywhere near a bad memory as that would defeat the purpose.

Alright. There was only one thing she could do now. She had to face Envy and tackle her essence with its opposite. Joy would overthrow Envy, as long as it was kept in line.

Unique walked out to get a glass of water in the kitchen before she braced herself to take on Envy. She wished there was some food, but sadly, the only recent visited tree house—with any possibility of food—had burnt down earlier because of the fire wasps. Her stomach growled in response, and Unique smiled. To think that the first time she'd heard that sound, she'd believed Sion when he told here that there was a dying whale inside of her. She shook her head of her own silliness.

The possibility that this would be her last day alive, didn't frighten her as much she thought it would—she barely cared. To be perfectly honest, she was content with the way everything was now. If it had to end like this, then that would be something to take on her shoulders. Granted, if she died, she probably wouldn't worry too much about it after. With that, she transported to the cave.

Envy was standing at a distance watching in joy as Sion ruined himself. When she caught sight of Unique, she smiled.

"Finally, you're back." She rolled her eyes. "And here I thought you'd be smart enough to stay away."

"What have you done to him?" Unique nodded to Sion who was scratching at his skin, pulling his hair and writhing on the ground in pain.

Envy chuckled. "I guess he found someone he couldn't stand being envious of—himself."

"Leave him alone," Unique demanded. Envy ignored her.

"I mean it," Unique said.

"Oh, boohoo. You can't do anything." Envy nodded to her brother. "You can always use your powers to shake him out of it. Come on--be my guest."