Chapter 23

On my way down to the airport, I noticed something in the back seat of the car. 

I’d left my guitar in the car from the other day with Scooter and Usher. Then I remembered something; a conversation Emily and I had. The words replayed in my mind as I stayed captivated in the car..

“Promise me something?” 

“Anything Emily.” 

“Never let me go,” 

I smiled to myself, remembering her honest eyes looking up at me. I knew what I had to do. I had a plan. This couldn’t go wrong, could it? 

(Emily)

It was weird having Mum constantly next to me. She wouldn’t leave my side. I loved her, but I still needed my space. I guess I was excited to go overseas with her. But it was all happening too fast. I couldn’t even remember my accident. What had happened that night? Mum wouldn’t even try to explain it to me, she just kept saying that it was ‘Too Complicated’. What could that mean? My mind was a constant whirl of thoughts. Some, I couldn’t even understand them myself. 

I kept reminding myself that going to Rome might jog my memory, or make me relax slightly. I didn’t even understand. What had happened. Was I still at school? I gradually  gave up thinking about it, because it bewildered me. Mum didn’t even seem the slightest bit concerned of how it could fuck up everything either. I still didn’t feel quite stable, but Mum seemed to happy and I couldn’t tell her that. 

Mum guided me through the airport like there was some sort of rush. But I didn’t know what for. She held my left wrist and pulled me towards the security gates. 

“Don’t want to waste time, baby” her eyes widened at the thought of leaving everything behind. I couldn’t say I felt the same way. 

I nodded and shook her tight grip on my arm, noticing she’d left a hand mark. She picked up the pace, looking at her watch eagerly. 

“Nearly time!” she said excitedly.

“Yeah,” I said, faking a half smile. 

“I’m glad you’re okay,” she said suddenly breaking away from her excitement mood, kissing my forehead. “It would have killed me if something happened to you.” 

“I don’t even understand what happened.” 

She breathed heavily on my face, and then lead me to the chairs nearby. 

“You were in an accident.” 

“I know, but what happened?” 

She opened her mouth to say something but she hesitated. 

“I need to know mum!” I raised my voice, growing impatient. 

“You were in a car accident with, a boy.” 

“The other driver?” 

“No.” 

I stopped, amazed by what I’d heard. “Was, was I kidnapped?” 

She laughed at my reaction, “No, he was your boyfriend.” 

“I don’t have a..” I was interrupted by the corny, telephone voice. 

“Boarding gate 8 Flight to Rome, now boarding.” 

“C’mon, don’t worry about it, let’s go” Mum said pulling me up from the chair and towards the line of other passengers with their tickets in their hands. 

“B..but,” I stopped, knowing I probably wouldn’t get any other information out of her.

The small, blonde lady took and ripped my ticket in half and then pointed mum and I to our seats. Right behind a loud, crying 3 year old. Looks like I’m not getting any sleep.