Chapter 18 - Old Happenings and Dreams

Start from the beginning

The blonde girl was much taller than the other two, towering over them as they both appeared to be the same height.

The third girl had brown hair that seemingly glowed under the light of the sun and warm, darkly coloured eyes.

The coppery haired girl traced her fingers across carved words on the bark of the tree. S.D, G.D and L.D. "Can't believe they're cutting the tree down." She said.

The other two girls muttered their agreement. The trio marvelled about their lives in their old neighbourhood, because of course these weren't just any three girls. They were the Davis and they were notorious for causing trouble. Although it seemed that many in the neighbourhood spoke highly of them.

'The bright young girls in the house down the road.'

'The Davi siblings, best friends, they are.'

'The Davi sisters don't need anyones company but their own.'

These were only a few examples of the many things they overheard on their way down to the grocery store every Tuesday and Saturday afternoon.

Gemini laughed, brushing a blonde strand of hair out of her face. "Sage, your flying needs an awful lot of work. You were so close to me that you nearly landed right on my back."

Sage gasped in fake surprise. "Woah, have mercy on me, great Gemini, the superior."

Lyric snickered. "Don't kill each other, Mercy, Sky."

Sage looked toward Lyric, puzzled. "Sky?"

"Yeah. You're a bird, they fly in the sky."

Sage turned to Gemini. "And you're-"

"I am not going to be Superior Gemini the Merciful Queen, so cross that off your list."

Sage rolled her eyes. "Actually, it's Queen Gemini the Merciful Superiority," Gemini scoffed before the brown haired girl continued, "and I was going to say 'Mercy'."

Gemini shrugged and turned towards Lyric. "Well, Ly, unless you can come up with something better in ten seconds, I'm going to call you Klutz."

"Fox?" Lyric suggested.

"Wow, real original. Hi, I'm Cat and these are my sisters, Fox and Finch."

"I'm a sparrow." Sage corrected.

"What about Lynx?"

"But, that's just plain-" Sage cut her off.

"It does have a ring to it. Sky, Mercy and Lynx. I have always thought Phoenix and Storm would be kind of interesting though."

Gemini made a face. "No one in their right mind would name themselves after unpleasant weather or a bird that bursts into flames."

"I used to think no one in their right mind would ever turn into an animal. Nothing really surprises me anymore." Lyric laughed.

The three sisters sat around the old oak tree. "So, what will you two be changing your names to?" Gemini questioned. "Lyra seems nice and it's the closest you're going to get to Lyric. Saiph is all I can currently think of for Sage but you can probably-"

"I'm not renaming myself close to Sage."

"Why not?" Gemini spoke carefully.

"I've spoken to Uncle Apollo and Aunt Cassie-"

"Since when do you call them that?" Gemini whipped around to face Sage and Lyric shrunk back awkwardly, as she was sitting between the two.

"They're related to us, they're our family!"

"We have no family! They took care of that. Do you know what it is to be an orphan? It's this!"

"Oh, spoken like an ungrateful, bratty child!"

"Who are you calling a child? I was here a solid year, three months and fourteen days longer than you."

"Well, at least I don't act half my age!"

"No, of course not, you act twice your age! At least I don't will my entire life away. You probably won't even live to see your twentieth birthday."

"Fine! If that's what you think, then I'll," she sprung to her feet, "just go." In a matter of seconds, Sage was gone.

"Good!" Gemini shouted after her. "I'll have a row with anyone that believes in blood purity!"

Before Lyric could say a single word, Gemini had changed into her animagus form and was gone.

And Lyric Davi was left there, wondering how everything had gone so wrong.

{01/25/16}