thirty six ; hufflepuff's cup

Start from the beginning

"Well, what's your excuse for visiting this time?" she asked, batting her eyelashes harmlessly.

"Mr. Burke would like to make an improved offer for the goblin-made armor," said Tom. "Five hundred galleons, he feels it is more than fair--"

"Now, now, not so fast, or I'll think you're only here for my trinkets!" pouted Hepzibah.

Tom's face did not change, but Diana could see the change in his eyes. They were full of contempt and frustration, and Vera discreetly grabbed his hand tightly. It was more grounding than comforting, Diana noticed. It meant, stay calm.

"I am ordered here because of them," said Tom quietly. "I am only a poor assistant, madam, who must do as he is told. Mr. Burke wishes me to inquire--"

"Oh, Mr. Burke, phooey!" said Hepzibah. "I have something to show you that I've never shown Mr. Burke. Can you two keep a secret? Will you promise to not tell anyone I've got it? You will appreciate it for its history, not how many Galleons you can get for it."

"We would love to see it," said Vera lightly, and Hepzibah beamed.

"I had Hokey bring it out for me...Hokey, where are you? I want to show our guests our finest treasure...in fact, bring both, while you're at it...."

"Here, Madam," squeaked the house-elf as she handed over two leather boxes stacked on top of each other.

"Now," said Hepzibah, gingerly taking the boxes from the elf. "I think you'll like this, Tom...Oh, if my family knew I was showing you...They can't wait to get their hands on this!"

She opened the lid of the first box. Inside was a golden cup with two fine handles on each side.

Diana gave a great jolt, her breath catching in her throat. She had seen this. Just like the ring and the locket, she had seen this cup where she had seen the others. They littered her dreams like an infestation, and nothing could make her forget those images seared into her brain.

Tom reached for the cup, almost hungrily, and hooked a slender finger around one of the handles. He examined it with maniacal interest that Hepzibah didn't notice. Vera did, though, and she watched Tom intently as if he was a bomb ready to blow and she would have to disarm him if necessary. He handed to cup to Vera who took it delicately and examined it with intellectual interest.

"A badger," murmured Vera. "This was Hufflepuff's?"

"Yes, very good!" said Hepzibah with a sharp clap. "Helga Hufflepuff's! Didn't I tell you I was distantly descended? This has been handed down in the family for years and years. Lovely, isn't it? And all sorts of powers it's supposed to possess too, but I haven't tested them thoroughly, I just keep it nice and safe in here..."

Hepzibah took the cup back and secured it once again in its leather box.

"Now then," she said happily, "where is Hokey? Oh yes, there you are--take that away now, Hokey."

The elf obediently took it and retreated from the room.

"I think you'll like this even more, Tom," she whispered, turning her attention to the second box. "Lean in a little, so you can see...Of course, Burke knows I've got this one, I bought it from him, and I daresay he'd love to get it when I'm gone..."

She opened the lid carefully, and this time Tom reached out for the object without invitation.

And for the second time that night, Diana gave another heavy jolt as the wind was knocked out of her lungs.

"Slytherin's mark," said Tom quietly. His eyes were glued to the beautiful locket decorated with gleaming emeralds.

"That's right!" said Hepzibah excitedly. "I had to pay an arm and a leg for it, but I couldn't let it pass. Burke bought it, apparently, from a ragged-looking woman who seemed to have stolen it, but had no idea of its true value--"