Chapter Eight: Burning Angels

Start from the beginning

"Give it a rest," I blurt.

When Layla raises an eyebrow at me, rather dangerously, i immediately shove half of the bread in my mouth before I say anything else that might get me killed. I wouldn't put murder past her.

Nick slides up right next to me as I'm chewing and he gives me an amused look. I shrug, still chewing.

"You better spank her so she behaves," Layla crosses her arm and I accidentally make a choking noise. Nick looks at me in concern. I'm a beet red and Layla is looking mischievous.

"Jesus, Layla, really?" Nick shuffles his hands.

Once again I can't tell what the hell he's thinking. He's obviously annoyed by her comment but it's Layla. Everything she says you could take offense to it. It's like she wants to push everyone's buttons on purpose. I finally sallow and the table watches me as I gulp down tea with too much fake sweetener in it. It tastes bitter after I set my glass down.

"You embarrassed Anna," Eileen proclaims, looking at me with her brown bambi eyes. I blush harder.

"I dropped my fork!" I say, dropping my fork on purpose. I slink underneath the table and sit on my knees, catching my breath.

I wasn't what you would call a very experienced person when it came to sexual stuff. I wasn't even that kinky or so I like to think. I'm probably bothered by Layla's comment because I had actually thought about the concept of it. I hadn't really done anything like that before.

I lost my virginity to a boy named Chase Fletcher inside a Wendy's bathroom stall. Really unclassy I know but he was a few years older than me and he only came into town to visit his dying relative. We would bang one out every time he showed up but after his grandpa died I never heard from him again.

We hadn't really done anything super wild, unless fast food restaurant bathroom sex counted, which i don't think it did.

I'm studying my breathing and staring the tip of my fork when Nick unexpedly joins me underneath the table.

"Hey, babe," He jokingly says. "How's the weather under here?"

"Shut up," I playfully roll my eyes but my heart speeds up. He's really close to me. He smells like the inside of a fireplace.

"Layla's a bitch," Nick states, rather bluntly.

"Yeah, that's not a hard quality to see in her," I sigh and stare at him,captivated. My hair falls in my face and before I can put it back Nick takes his hand and brushes back my hair behind my ear, his fingers lingering on my cheek.

"You're really gorgeous," He breathes out like he's stunned.

I nervously chuckle. "We're under a table, this isn't the time for romantic proclamations," My voice is just above a whisper.

On top of us there's the sounds of shuffling and eating and chatter. We are being forgotten by the rest of the room by vanishing into this little closed off world. I like it.

"Fuck it, it's always the time to be a cheesy asshole," He smiles.

"If you move your head just up a bit you're going to slam it on the table," I say, changing the subject. I take my hand and push his head down slightly but he grabs it, gently.

Nick leans in and places an unexpected kiss on my parted lips. If the world hadn't already fallen away it would have after this. He kisses like it's a goodbye and it takes me out of realty.

"Anna!" Savannah's voice shouts.

Nick and I break apart and we both simultaneously slam our heads on the table. Nick groans.