Jax reached over and grabbed her hand. “Stop feeling so guilty, we’re not hurting anyone.” He kissed her frowned lips. “It won’t work, you can’t push me away anymore then I can push you away.” he kissed her again, deeper this time.

“Ok, ok, ok.” She pulled away and tried to control her breathing. “I have to go before we’re late.” She ran out of his room and up the stairs. Sure again Julie was in the kitchen eating breakfast. Ariana used the lie Jax told her and it worked like a charm. Julie shrugged and kept eating her cereal. The younger girl really didn’t care.

She continued with her haste pace upstairs to get ready. The pulled on her ankle length grey skirt and a pale pink short sleeved blouse. She was pinning back her hair as she came down the stairs. Jax was already dressed waiting in the living room, it looked like he had been there for a good moment.  How had he gotten ready so fast?

“Are you ready?” he asked.

Ariana glanced around, everyone appeared to be gone. “I wasn’t gone that long.” She mumbled while grabbing her backpack.

“They were gone by the time I got here too. Dad mentioned something last night about having to go in early to work.” Jax explained as they walked toward the car.

The ride was quiet, Ariana didn’t know what to say and felt it was better to say nothing. She felt him glance at her every once and awhile, he probably didn’t know what to say either. After all they had discussed this before and staying away from each other wasn’t working but then again neither was giving in. The whole situation felt like a double edged sword.

She thanked him for the ride as always then bolted from the car to avoid anymore awkward moments. She met up with Laura who explained Jolene wasn’t there yet. “And I thought I was late.”

“For your usual time yeah but there’s still about ten minutes before class.” Laura explained cheerfully.

“Why are you in a good mood?” Ariana asked with a frown.

“Because soon it is holiday time and no more school for awhile. Plus presents!” she smile grew, she was a big fan of the winter holidays because it was also her birthday, she always got more presents then everyone else.

Jolene came up the pathway. “Why does Laura’s face look ready to crack with that big smile?”

Ariana answered. “Holiday break is coming up.”

“Oh yeah, no more of this place.”

Ariana shrugged, she had never hated school. During the summer and holiday breaks she felt anxious to get back to school and get her studies done. She had big dreams for college and for that she needed to get high school done and aced. Together they walked into the school. Laura went ahead to her locker while Jolene followed Ariana.

She was going to ask her friend why she wasn’t going to get ready for class then noticed her stance change as they spotted Charlie. Jolene was playing watchdog, ready to strike.

Charlie noticed this as he closed his locker. “Down, Jolene.” He grinned.

Jolene’s eyes narrowed. “Go away before I’m tempted to rearrange that pretty face of yours even more.” The signs of his fight with Jax were still visible.

Ariana stood back with her eyes wide, she had never heard her friend that angry before. “It’s ok Jolene he isn’t bothering me anymore.”

Charlie looked past the angry girl in front of him to Ariana. “You haven’t told her about our deal.”

Jolene spun around. “You made a deal with this jerk?”

Ariana had thoughts of hurting Charlie herself now. “I wasn’t telling anyone.” She said to him before addressing her friend. “It’s not a big deal.” She opened her locker and put her things away. She refused to be late for class. “We can talk later.” She promised her friend.

“We better.” Jolene let the conversation drop until later.

Ariana headed to class and glared at Charlie as he smiled at her. He moved from his seat and took the empty one next to her. “Mad at me again?” he asked.

“Again? When did I stop?”

“Ooh spunky. Last year you wouldn’t have spoke to me this much.”

“I hoped ignoring you would make you go away but now I know better.” She was quiet when she was uncomfortable and with Charlie she always had been. Now she was angry. “That’s what you were counting on right? The geeky quiet girl would be easy to manipulate and make a bet about.”

His dark eyes softened. “You got this wrong.”

“After Saturday I never want you to speak to me again.” She opened her notepad and focused forward as the teacher entered the classroom.