1 - Platform Nine and Three Quarters

Start from the beginning

Not that they took any notice of the looks though. The family looked perfectly at ease as they made their way over to platforms nine and ten. Well, almost perfectly at ease. The girl was tearful and pleading with her father; the two boys had resumed their argument that had begun in the car.

"I won't! I won't be in Slytherin!"

"James, give it a rest!" his mother sighed, in a 'not now' sort of way.

"I only said he might be." James grinned at Al, who was scowling at him. "There's nothing wrong with that. He might be in Slyth-"

At this moment, James received such a look from his mother that he broke off. Taking the trolley from his mother, and with a slightly smug and cocky look at his brother, ran straight into the barrier.

Albus waited for the crash that never came. His brother had gone. He quickly turned to his parents.

"You'll write to me, won't you?"

"Every day, if you want us to," Ginny smiled kindly.

Al looked slightly horrified. "Not every day. James says most people only get letters from home about once a month."

Ginny raised her eyebrow. "We wrote to James three times a week last year."

"And you don't want to believe everything he tells you about Hogwarts. He likes a laugh, your brother," Harry added wisely, turning to the barrier with the trolley.

"Come on Al. Together," he said, and they ran straight at the brick wall. Al flinched, but no crash came.

They emerged into a very noisy platform. A gleaming scarlet steam engine was waiting and belching steam everywhere. While his mother and sister came in behind him, James was no-where to be seen.

Al relaxed a little and took a deep breath. Then he looked around the murky platform, peering through the mist.

"Where are they?" he asked anxiously.

"We'll find them," Ginny reassured him.

They began to walk along the platform, the smoke clearing a little the further away they got from the train. Al could hear snatches of unusually loud conversations as they walked, the voices detached from their owners. He heard his Uncle Percy talking about broomstick regulations and was quite glad he didn't have to stop and chat.

"I think that's them, Al," Ginny pointed out.

A small party of four were standing at the end of the platform - Ginny's brother and Harry's best friend Ron Weasley, his wife Hermione and their other best friend, and their two children, Rose and Hugo, Al's cousins.

"Hi," Al said, sounding immensely relieved.

Rose was starting Hogwarts too this year, and the pair were best friends. She wore her brand new Hogwarts robes, and a massive smile from ear to ear.

"Parked all right, then?" Ron asked. "I did. Hermione didn't believe I could pass the muggle test, did you? She thought I'd have to Confund the examiner."

"No I didn't!" Hermione said. "I had complete faith in you!"

At this Ron murmured something to Harry, who laughed. They went to heave the trunks onto the train. When they got back, Lily and Hugo were having an animated discussion about what house they would be in when they went, in two years time.

Ron joined in the conversation. "If you're not in Gryffindor we'll disinherit you, but no pressure."

"Ron!"

Lily and Hugo laughed, but Al and Rose looked serious; Al was suddenly worried about his house again.

"He doesn't mean it," their mothers said quickly.