Chapter Seven: Stars and Scars

Start from the beginning

Suddenly, a pair of arms went around Julian's chest and he glanced over his shoulder just as a pretty girl with sleek, shoulder-length, platinum blonde hair came up from behind him with a big, sunny smile that chilled something in my stomach. Julian chuckled at something she said and the other guy just shook his head in wry amusement before tipping a bottle of beer into his mouth.

I couldn't recall how long I stood there at the end of the path, watching the merry barbecue party going on.

Then suddenly, the blonde shifted her gaze and spotted me, her eyes widening, the hand she still had on Julian's shoulder clutching him to attention.

Julian turned and saw me, his handsome face—obscured a little by the white haze of smoke that wafted in front of him with the slight breeze—breaking into a grin.

"Starlight! What are you gawking at?" he yelled at me with a laugh. "Come up here!"

I didn't respond to Starlight this time, no matter how many times he'd already called me that in the few days we've lived together, but there was no one else standing by the path that I couldn't pretend he was talking to someone else.

Time to face the music, Star. Put your face on.

I couldn't really fault him for it. Julian did give me fair warning that he occasionally had people over but that it wasn't going to be one of those loud and gregarious parties most college residences had in an ever-skyrocketing statistic. I just wished he'd given me some heads up because had I known there were going to be people here tonight, I would've avoided the place. It didn't matter that I had nowhere to go. I could think of more preferable things than socializing with strangers and being a spectator to Julian feasting on his flavor of the week.

I allowed a small, polite smile on my face as I moved my feet again toward the stairs leading up to the porch.

By the time I reached the top of the stairs, Julian was already there, grasping my elbow and pulling me to his side as his two guests stood next to each other, looking at me expectantly.

"Guys, this is Star Matthews," Julian introduced with surprising enthusiasm. "Star, these are two of my good friends—my best friend and former roommate, Christopher Miller, and Cammi Johnson."

"Call me, Kit," the guy said with a big, warm smile as he shook my hand. He was cute in that nice-guy kind of way. There was curiosity in his bright blue eyes but they didn't level on my boobs or flicker with inappropriate intimacy. His hand didn't linger on mine either. I liked him instantly. "It's nice to meet you, Star."

"Hi, Kit," I greeted back mildly, flashing him a smile, before turning to the blonde. "Hi, Cammi."

"I didn't know Julian's new roommate is a girl," she said with a light giggle but I didn't miss the anxiety that tensed her cheeks as she tried to hold her smile up. "After knowing him my whole life, I thought he couldn't surprise me anymore."

"I strive to be unpredictable," Julian intoned with mock seriousness.

I shot him a sideways glance, realizing that he was oblivious to Cammi's not-so-hidden feelings for him. Her distress about my presence was nearly as strong as her floral perfume. "And in doing so, you've become predictable."

Julian beamed down at me before grabbing the backpack hanging on my shoulder. "Come, on. Let's get you inside so you can get comfortable and meet the rest of the party. Don't worry, it's a small one. I didn't invite the whole school."

"No?" I asked with an exaggerated sigh. "How will my heart survive this crushing disappointment?"

"I have a feeling your heart's going to be just fine." Julian smirked at me and held the door open. He paused and glanced up at his two friends who were still watching us. "Kit, keep an eye on the steak or you won't have any if you burn it. We'll be right back."