Present day

As I woke from my deep slumber I knew something was off about my world. I heard a voice begging me to get out of bed, but when I opened my eyes all I could see was a furry face, Diablo. I laughed, "Diablo, you silly girl." At my laugh she jumped off the bed, wagging her tail like crazy.

 I still couldn't believe that mom let me keep her, and letting me call her Diablo. She was no devil that's for sure. With her thick, dark golden coat and her chocolate brown eyes, you wonder why anyone would abandon her.

 She looked at me expectantly, I sighed. Then mom called from downstairs, "Lacey, breakfast is ready." "Okay I'm coming." As I said those three words Diablo pulled on my blue sweater, telling me to hurry my butt up no doubt. Since going up and down the stairs all day was really  tiring I grabbed some clothes, my iPod, my Galaxy 6s, a sketchbook, and Diablo's leash. On the second floor I put my clothes and iPod on the bathroom counter and took my other belongings with me to the dining room. 

Mom was already sitting down and I was surprised to see my  older brother there too. "Mornin' Lacey. You always sleep this late?" Diablo cocked her head as if she didn't know what to make of Dalton. My hands went instantly to my hips, "It's not that late out, it's only seven 'o clock. Not everyone around here wakes when the rooster crows." He just smiled, so mom said, "Who wants to eat?" With that I sat across from Dalton with Diablo at my feet. 

Mom and Dalton started talking about going to a cabin for a few weeks, only when they mentioned Sunset Lake did I look at them. And guess what they did? They laughed at me, actually laughed

When Dalton got done laughing his head off he asked what I thought. But I wasn't listening, I was thinking of the little cabin, " Lacey sweetie, what do you think? Should we go up there again, we could take Diablo with." Diablo barked her opinion, she looked at me so hopefully that I had to say yes.

 "Alright, it's settled them. When should I swing by to meet up with you two?" I rolled my eyes at Dalton, "Hey, watch it missy your birthday isn't too far away." That made me stop instantly, my birthday was coming soon how could I forget my own birthday? He smirked, got up, thanked mom for breakfast, and said goodbye. 

As soon as he left I looked at mom, "When are we going? School starts tomorrow and I volunteered to show the freshman around." 

She smiled, " Don't worry, we're going next week. So make sure you get your homework that you're going to miss. Oh and Lacey?" 

Diablo whined, tugging at my sweatshirt. "Yes mom?" 

"After you get down taking a shower could you run to the store and get me some black eyeliner?"

 I was about to protest but she held up her hand to silence me, "Let me finish. You can bring Diablo with. just tie her up outside. I'm sure it won't take you long to get it, you go there all the time with Becky." 

I knew she was right and she knew it too. So I went upstairs to take a shower.