My lips found hers and our tongues mingled. Hot breaths shot out of our mouths, our fingers intwined, our bodies started to glisten with sweat. I hit her centre each time I thrust inside her, and slowly, I could sense her ōrgasm coming. At last, she threw her had back and screamed, coming so hard around me, it released my own climax. I let go with a long groan, jerking inside her as my tip erupted. I filled up the condom and collapsed on top of her, probably suffocating her. But as both of our orgasms subsided and I tried to roll off her, she wrapped her arms around me and kept me put. For just a moment, we laid there, breathing.

Then finally, I drew back a little and looked at her. She met my eyes with her own soft chocolate ones, simply glazing back at me, hers wet with tears. She looked... broken.

You did that to her. You broke her. Nice going, Detective. Your job is to help people, yet you managed to completely break this one. Go put on that Purple Heart medal they gave you. No seriously - go put it on.

I shut my eyes and instead finally rolled off her. She let me, even if it seemed reluctant. I threw an arm over my eyes, not wanting to see her looking the way she did - not wanting to see what I had made her look like.

"When did you get back?" Her voice was barely a whisper.

"Last night."

"Where have you been?"

"You don't want to know."

"Yes I do."

"I was out getting high."

A long pause stretched where she didn't move or speak. Then finally; "Are you high now?"

I sighed and removed my arm. "No."

Her eyes softened and she slowly lifted herself up on her elbow. "Russell, I know what you said two weeks ago wasn't to--"

"Hurt you. I know you do, you're clever enough to understand that where I'm heading is a path that requires no companion."

Another short silence. "How about just company, then?"

I swirled my eyes to meet hers. "Company?"

She nodded and licked her lips. "We don't have to follow the same path, but that doesn't mean they still can't meet once in a while. Like this."

I frowned at her. Was she actually suggesting a fuck-buddy relationship with a drug-addicted detective who was currently on the Russian Mafia's radar of people to mess with? "And here I thought you were smart, Amy."

"What?"

"I don't cross paths with anyone," I snapped and sat up, throwing the covers off. "Actually no, scratch that, I do cross paths with someone; They're called criminals, and as of some time ago, I am officially on all of their hitlists."

"Russell--"

"It was good seeing you again Amy, I hope those batteries still work."

The thick, throbbing silence that felt afterwards was excruciating and I damned myself for letting it reach my heart. When the fuck did this woman get under my skin? She was like a virus to my system. I didn't want it, I didn't need it. Yet I still got it and now it was coursing around in my veins, weakening me. Making me vulnerable.

I had to heal myself, and the only way to do that was to get an antidote; A new drug.

"I'm heading in to work," I said, pulling on my pants before grabbing my dirty shirt. I combed a hand through my tousled hair. "You should head home. Goodbye, Amy."

I couldn't even wait for her reply. I had to get out of there before a repeat of our most recent activity occurred. I was weak. So fucking weak.