preface

Preface

Roll out of bed, take shower, put on black dress, buckle black shoes, grab black jacket, don't forget umbrella, bare the awkward silence of, Belle, on the way to the funeral, and don't hold back the unshed tears when the wave hits.

"I didn't prepare a speech today. I mean, I didn't even plan on talking today. You know how sometimes it's just too soon to talk of someone so close, but you can't help thinking that if you didn't talk that it would just make everything worse? All I've been hearing is how much all of you understand, how my mom is in this better place, and how you want me to let you know if there is anything that you can do for me. The truth is my mom died, and there isn't anything any of you can do for me, to stop this pain, this big gaping hole in my chest." I whimper. "I know I haven't felt the whole part of this grievance yet. If I had I don't think I would be standing right now. I lost my mom. The mom who was always gone, and every moment I actually got to see her was completely looked forward to all year because I just couldn't wait to see her again. Maybe my mom wasn't the best one, but she sure as hell was good enough for me. She was always there when it counted, when I needed her most." I sigh and try to keep the tears from strolling down my cheeks. It's a pathetic attempt they stream as they may. "I loved her a lot." I pause, "love her a lot, and I just wanted to say how good she actually was no matter what some people may think." The waterworks had really started now and I bowed my head waiting for my knees to give out, and for that wave to take me under. I felt a hand helping me walk away, it was, Belle.

There was no rain. I don't remember much about the funeral service or the drive home, other than Belle dropping me off, getting reassurance that I would be fine though the night alone, and that I would text her if I needed anything. I was going through the motions. There wasn't much more that I could do to deal. Belle waited until I had unlocked the door, and walked inside, before pulling from the curb, and speeding away.

Lock door, unbuckle black shoes, eat something, lay in bed, pull the covers up over your head, try to escape the world, and close your eyes while hoping for sleep even though it's a hopeless attempt.

The doorbell began to rind. I ignored it. It rang again. I ignored it still, but then it kept ringing. I sighed and dragged my un-functional body down the hall in my bright red nightgown and a white fluffy blanket wrapped around my fragile self. I still needed to find that damned robe. Check the peep whole mom would always remind, so I do. Two suited men stood outside my door. Suited men were always bad news, they had been for me anyway. Suits had delivered moms death. Suits delivered dads death before I was born. Suits are just bad news, even so I pulled the door open a crack. I stared them down, willing them away with a glare.

"Good evening." The older man greets. He flashes me an official government badge. "I'm Ryan Walker of the secret service, and this is James Read." He states pointing over to a younger guy.

"Are you Rose Carter?" I met the other guys piercing green eyes, and pitched black hair by tilting my head back. He's a giant.

"What would the secret service need with me? I'm pretty sure my mom wasn't that important." I sigh.

"Are you Rose Carter?" the older one asks me the question a second time.

"Yeah, what's it to you?" I fire back. I wanted to go back under my covers, and hide. I can't stand any more bad news.

"We need you to come with us, you're in danger." Ryan demands.

"What?! I'm not going anywhere with you. What do you care if I'm in danger? Shouldn't you be protecting the president or something?!" I shoot back more questions. Why in the world would I be of any importance? The other guy, whose name I can't remember for the life of me, the giant, speaks up,

"Miss everything will be explained shortly. You just need to pack a light bag, and come with us." He demands of me again.

"I don't have to do anything you say. This is a freaking free country the last time I checked." I argue, as I try and slam the door on them. The door stops suddenly. The greened eyed man has his foot in my way.

"We can do this the nice professional way, or the difficult hard way." Green eyes states.

What in the world?! I open the door and then slam it hard back on his foot. That will teach the giant. His face turns into a not so welcoming one, if looks could kill, but he doesn't budge. I feel the blood drain from my face and I turn, dropping my blanket, and race back to my room, locking the door. I rush to the window and pull it open in one swift motion. Swinging my leg over the ledge, trying to shimmy myself out the window. There is yelling outside the door, and unexpectedly the door crashes in and in rushes the green eyed giant with the Ryan dude in tow. I pause then proceed with my escape attempt. Arms grab me and pull me to the ground as I thrash around. This is the end. This is how I'm going to die. Green eyes whispers in my ear as my vision gets blurry with tears.

"You will be okay, you're quite the stubborn fighter." That's the last thing I hear before I black out, and wake up in a strange room.