Chapter 1

"Gretchen get your fat ass out of bed and come make my sandwich you slut!" I try not to cringe at my father's crude behavior. I was used to his language, but my ears still hurt to hear those vile words slip past his lips. "Gretchen!" my father roars.

I scramble out of bed, slipping a sweatshirt on so he doesn't see any skin that was not necessary to show. I rush down the stairs and bolt into the kitchen, pulling out bread, mustard, lettuce, and turkey to prepare his lunch. I finish it quickly, grab a beer from the fridge, and place it in front of him and pull back to give him space. Last time I stood near him while he ate was when he stabbed my arm with his fork.

He grumbles incoherent words as he munches on the food. He abruptly stops and I shake inwardly with fear. Did I make it wrong. He always has it mustard, lettuce, turkey, more mustard.

"Gretchen," he whispers, placing the sandwich down. I cry inside as he picks the beer bottle up and smashes it into the wall. "You messed up my fucking sandwich you bitch!" I feel a tear slip passed my eyes as he slaps my cheek. It stings, but the pain disappears before I can register what happens next. He picks up the sandwich and smashes the contents onto my face.

He cackles evilly before he brings his hands up and slams my body into the wall. The rest of the beer bottle liquid slips into my clothes. I groan, knowing that getting this crap out of my clothes was going to be painful. His hands come up and wrap around my throat cutting off my air supply. I claw at his hands and cry out desperately as I try and rip his arms off my neck. He gets up in my face and snarls lowly in his throat.

"You ruined my lunch you bitch!" he growls. "Now I have to go to the bar and buy myself some food because my slut of a daughter can't do shit for the only family that has helped to raise her since she was born!" he crushes my lungs into my mouth before he releases me and I collapse to the ground, struggling to breath. He growls at me again before he leaves the house, slamming the door on the way out.

My shaking hands grip the counter top, the other wrapped around my throat protectively. I struggle to pull my body up, and I immediately hunch over. My throat fills with air and I heave slightly, before I straighten my back. It still hurts to swallow. I glance at the clock. My entire face pales as the clock flashes 8:10. I have 15 minutes to get to school before my first period teacher marks me late. If I am late again my father said he won't go easy on me anymore. I sprint to my room, slipping on some jeans and my worn out converse. Grabbing my backpack on the way out. I fly down the street and scurry to the bus stop just as it pulls up.

Mrs. Shelly the bus driver smiles sympathetically at me. "Almost late again, Gretchen." she teases, shutting the door behind me. I keep my head low as I sit on the first seat near the entrance of the bus. The bus was practically empty, all juniors and seniors opting to drive instead of waiting in the cold for the bus.

Once the bus reaches the school, I spring off keeping my head once again down and avoiding everyone's gaze. I am mostly invisible compared to people at school. My father has threatened my life multiple times if I ever came home with a friend. I was only going to school for the purpose of education. My father said that the less friends I had, the less suspicion that would float around the household. And the last thing that I wanted was for my father to up the punishment.

I scurry down the hallway and slide into my homeroom. As I go through the door my body collides with a wall of muscle. "I am so sorry!" I glance up quickly and my breathing stops. A guy stares down at me. He stares deep into my eyes and I find myself tracing his features with my eyes. His jawline was curvy, but not too out there. His black hair was buzzed slightly short, puffed up at the top. He had a lot of muscle on his arms, but nothing was overpowering about him. Except for the aura that seemed to surround him like a bubble.