Social Media Problems

From an anonymous reader...

'Ello! I need your help on this:
So, my parents won't let me use any means of social media (Insta, Snapchat, etc). I feel really left out compared to my friends and the rest of the grade, I have no idea what's going on! Do you have any advice on how I could convince them to let me use social media?

Thnks!
xx

I've been down this road before, it's definitely tough to be one of the only people to not have something, especially if everyone you know has said thing.

My first piece of advice I can give you is try and figure out why they don't want you to have any social media. I understand where they're coming from, there's a lot of creeps on social media.

I know it took a lot of trust with my parents. Make sure they know you won't do anything bad and only accept follows, snaps, etc., from friends and people you know. Maybe have them talk to another parent who is okay with it, maybe a friend's parent. You'd be surprised how other parents will help you out.

Also, don't forget to make sure your friends know that you feel left out. If they know that, they'll probably tone it down a bit and you can all talk about things you ALL like and have in common, besides, it's better to hang out face to face than texting each other sitting next to each other (I say as I sit in the room away from everyone *-*)

I found this on Common Sense Media, maybe it could help you out.
•••
Use privacy settings. Privacy settings aren't foolproof, but they can be helpful. Take the time to learn how privacy settings work on your favorite sites and apps, and learn how to control the information they make public or private. Check privacy settings regularly, since sites' policies often change.

Think before you post. Remind yourself that everything can be seen by a vast, invisible audience (otherwise known as friends-of-friends-of-friends), and, once something's online, it's hard to take back.

Be a friend and follower. Each family will have different rules, but, especially for younger kids, it's a good idea for parents to have access to their kids' pages, at least at first, to be sure that what's being posted is appropriate. Parents can help keep their children from doing something they'll regret later.

Keep private information private. Don't share your home address or other sensitive information online.

Be respectful of others. Kids may use social media to act out because they feel anonymous and that their actions are consequence-free. Make sure you understand that the Internet is a giant community that works best when everyone respects each other.
•••
If worse comes to worse, wait awhile, they'll come around. I promise ;)

If you do end up getting one, let me know. I'll follow you :)

XOXO,
Nicki 🐱