19 'Uneventful' Years

Start from the beginning

“Merlin’s beard!!!” shrieked Hermione as she untied and read a letter from a brown owl after breakfast one day.

“wazzit......has the library caught fire?” joked Ron sleepily.

Hermione ignored him. She handed Harry the letter with trembling hands.

To,

 Harry James Potter                                                                                                          

Hermione Jean Granger                                                                                                   

Ronald Bilius Weasley

Each of you have been awarded with THE ORDER OF MERLIN (FIRST CLASS) for your recent contributions to the wizarding community. This felicitation has been given due to popular demand.

Sincerely Yours,                                                                                                               

Kingsley Shacklebolt                                                                                                        

Minister of Magic

“Blimey...order of Merlin...Kingsley’s gotta be kidding, right?” said Ron who has been reading the letter from Harry’s back.

“But why us? Everyone fought and-”

“Isn’t in obvious? After all this, people have started kinda worshipping you. Its the ‘Chosen One’ all over again. I and Ron also got it only because we were known to be travelling with you.” explained Hermione who had overcome her initial shock.

“I can’t take it. All I-we have done is not for some stupid award-its for ourselves, for everyone.” Harry replied firmly.

“Stupid award...are you mental?” asked Ron, still dazed.

“But-”

“You don’t understand, Harry. Of course, you didn’t do it for this but people want to thank you, you see its written here ‘popular demand’? The ministry must have been left with no choice.” she, then, concluded “Its better for you to accept it.”

“Like I have a choice.” Harry muttered sarcastically.

“Reckon should I tell mum? She’ll go mad...” questioned Ron looking a bit nervous.

“Obviously” Harry could tell that Hermione had difficulty to stop herself from snapping at Ron. The three of them, then, went to the kitchen to inform Mrs. Weasley after Ron had gathered enough courage.

“Mum...we’ve been given the Order of Merlin...” Ron said meekly Mrs. Weasley as she was washing the dishes.

“Hmmm.....What?” she asked assuming that she had not clearly heard her youngest son.

 “The Order of Merlin...see this...” he said holding up the letter.

Her eyes widened as they travelled down the letter. Then, without a word, she pulled Ron into a bone-crushing hug turning a deaf ear to his protests.

“Why’s mum strangling Ron?” George piped up as he appeared in the kitchen with Ginny.

“Are they even going to fall apart?” remarked Ginny amused by the sight in front of her.