19 'Uneventful' Years

Start from the beginning

The ministry had sent a special car for them. As they arrived to Hogwarts after a long journey of about a couple of hours, Harry wondered if it would be similar to Dumbledore’s funeral but he was not entirely right.

There was an unusually huge gathering of what Harry estimated to be in some thousands. It seemed that the whole wizarding world had come to pay homage to the deceased. He became a bit nervous as felt the gaze of thousands of eyes on him.

At the front, there were a large number of tables, he knew would become tombs. Then there were the never ending rows of chairs. He was surprised to see the centaur herd, Gwarp with some other giants, Buckbeak, thestrals as well as house-elves and goblins silently standing near the lake.

Fawkes the phoenix was crying his beautiful lament while soaring in the endless skies.  As they settled themselves in chairs of one of the middle rows, Harry noticed that the music had filled the eyes of many.  He also felt a sharp pain in his throat as he saw several bodies wrapped in golden silk floating in mid-air towards the tables. This time however, instead of the small tufty-haired wizard, stood Minerva McGonagall, the new headmistress of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. She spoke with great self-control as her face gleamed with tears.

“A new era has begun. We all have fought bravely for a brighter future and thus are going to enter a world where there is peace, harmony, equality and most importantly, love. But as we do so, circumstances have become such that we look back again and again grieving the absence of our loved ones who lost their lives fighting the dark & evil forces. It is very difficult for us to overcome this pain and move ahead without them but it sure has been wisely said that time heals the deepest wounds. May their souls rest in peace.”

A moment of silence and the crowd stood. Then, she lighted her wand and raised it high. Everyone else followed with silent murmurings of ‘lumos’ and even though it was early morning, the sky seemed to be twinkling with thousands of stars.

Suddenly, bright white flames erupted around the bodies and the tables upon which they lay. The flames rose higher and higher as white smoke spiralled into the air. But the next second, all the flames vanished and in their place were numerous tombs encasing the last resting place of their beloved friends and family.

Molly Weasely had broken into hysterical sobs and while everyone was trying to calm her down, Harry saw Andromeda Tonks approaching him. Her eyes spoke of the pain she was in after losing her husband, daughter and son-in-law. In her arms lay a tiny baby with a tuft of bright turquoise hair who was sleeping soundly.

“Harry, your Godson.” she said quietly.

As Harry looked at Teddy Lupin, boiling hot tears came before he could stop them. By this time, Hermione had come and gently patted him on the back.

“Your father was very sorry that he will never know you. But when you know why he died, he hopes you will understand that he was trying to make a world in which you could live a happier life. ” said Harry recalling what Remus had said to him in the forbidden forest.

-- CHAPTER TWO --

The Order of Merlin

A week had passed after the funeral. McGonagall’s words seemed to be coming true as the ominous mood of the Burrow was gradually lifting and its inhabitants seemed to be returning back to their normal selves. They all had moved ahead leaving their painful pasts behind. The best part was when an exhausted Mr. Weasley had informed, after he returned from the ministry, that Umbridge had been carted off to Azkaban. Hermione had actually shrieked with joy “The evil toad-faced hag!!!” Later, Ginny and George had put up a mimicry show with Ginny as Umbridge and George as Filch which had resulted in aching ribs, raw throats and an agitated Mrs. Weasley.